lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #21
lobo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Have I bit off more than I can chew?

If you do a good job mine needs some paint!
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
...SNIP.... You should have started with a good primer / sealer. If you plan on doing that to the rear body, then STOP with the front cowl and start over. Your base (whether white paint on the front and primer on the rear) will result in two ending shades...
Not what I wanted to hear! I had the primer in the sack. Again, I was trying to follow all instructions. I was so focused, I was out of focus, I suppose. Maybe my only saving grace will be the flames on the front. That might just be enough to make it un-noticeable to those that don't know about it.
I guess I can make the flames take as much area as I need to. If there is only a little of the base coat showing, then my problem will be covered for the most part.

As you can tell, after spending 4 hours on it already, I'm not cherishing any idea of starting over. I was definitely pretty sick when I saw those cans of primer sitting there after I had already past the point of no return.

Should I do the back like I did the front then, using only the adhesion promoter or go with the primer and take my chances with the flames covering the front for the most part?
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
If you do a good job mine needs some paint!
I obviously missed an important step, so you might want me to stay away from yours, lobo.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, you guys are all about that wet sanding! That was like using rubbing compound on the finish. It blended very well. I laid out the flames, taped off the front, scuffed the flame area with a red scotch brite, and sprayed the flames on. I removed the tape around the flames about 10 minutes after spraying.

Now...... how long do I wait before wet sanding and clear coating?

Oh, here are some pics of the paint job so far. (I'm really in a paint booth. I just have the inside lined with natural surrounding murals)

Remember... It's still dusty and dull from the last coat of flame.

Again, how long before prepping for clear and exactly what do I do to prep the front end now for clear?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #25
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, I waiting about 1.5 hours, wet sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper. I started shining pretty good. I tacked it really well with the tack cloth. Sprayed a good first coat of clear and put it up for the night.

Do I sand again before the second coat of clear?

Speculation:

And after I second coat it with clear, I'll wet sand and then use rubbing compound or go straight to buffing it out without rubbing compound? Right or wrong?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #26
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I don't think you will need rubbing compound, but it's your call. 2000 is what I use on my car before buffing.
In reality, clear coat should wait until tomorrow but I don't think you have that much patience so go ahead and do it anytime. About 3 good coats of clear should do it, then wet sand and buff.

BTW, I'm impressed! GREAT LOOKING FLAME JOB!
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I didn't even get finished typing and already you've done the first clear.
And I thought I was ADHD.......

If I take any longer typing, you'll probably have it together and be sending photos from the bar having a beer with the new cart.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #28
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, ole friend! I truly appreciate all of the expert advice.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #29
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

More pics of the progress.... BTW... I'm taking smaller bites and chewing better now! Getting more encouraged with each step. That wet sanding made all the difference. (Going to wet sand my truck with 2000 grit to get the glimmer back in it)

This is with only one coat of clear so far... and no buffing yet. That's to come this afternoon.
Oh, and this is taken early this morning with only the headlights from my truck shining on it.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #30
sundownshifter
Gone Wild

Club Car

sundownshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint