lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
stever
Not Yet Wild

Default Picked up a Harley Cart...Need Help.

I picked up a Harley Cart today and I am needing some help to see if I can get it running. I was told it was running when it was stored, but the F/R switch was broken and needed replaced. Lever on the floor type switch.

I was able to take the switch apart, and JB weld the baseplate back together until I can find a replacement.

My problem is I can not get the starter to turn the engine over. When I flip the toggle switch to on, all I get is a dull clunk from the solenoid. I also tried jumping the posts with a screwdriver but still can not get the starter to turn.

THe engine and starter rotate easily by hand, so Im not sure why it will not turn over when using the switch.

What position does the F/R switch need to be in? Is there a safety switch somewhere that I am not aware of. I found a switch behind the gas pedal plate but when I depress it, I do not even get the clunk from the solenoid?

Can anyone help me at all?

Thank,

Steve
stever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Picked up a Harley Cart...Need Help.

Welcome to the forum stever. Not so many people with old harley gas cart experience but the basics are always the same. You didn't mention the battery state of charge? Is it up?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum stever...............
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
stever
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome. I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about golf carts. I race ATVs and my son dirtbikes, so I picked this cart up to try and use as pit transportation and give my 12 year old daughter something to do while at the races.

I was able to troubleshoot it enough today to determine that the starter is bad. It I eliminate the solenoid, and the F/R switch and hook directly from the battery to the starter, the starter will just barely turn. I imagine that it needs to be rebuilt.

I am going to work on getting that done this week.

I love projects like this, taking something someone else considers a lost hope, and bringing it back to life. Im sure you all will hear more from me.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

What year is the cart or what is the VIN number that is on the frame over the left rear wheel? The old Harleys are simple and easy to repair. Plenty of parts are also available!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
stever
Not Yet Wild

Its hard to tell.. but it looks like the SN# is 1Y610. Does this sound correct? If so what year and model do I have?

At this point I know I need a starter. Does anyone have one that they can part with, or is it still possible to have the one I have rebuilt?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

To find out the year of your cart, you will need to know the VIN. This number is located on a metal plate that is affixed to the frame directly above the driver's rear wheel. It will look like 3B12345H6 which is a 1976 3 wheel, so look again for a number.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
stever
Not Yet Wild

Ok... i looked again.... This is the number.

7011610H6..... I believe that this means it is a 1976 Harley Davidson..4 wheeled model.

Thanks for the help...anyone have parts??
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

you got it right this time! you can take the starter / generator to a shop that specializes in repair. There are a few older shops around. Get yourself a repair manual and check the cart carefully before having things rebuilt or repaired. It will save you lots of cash!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Also make sure your battery is in good condition and has a good charge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson