lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
codycthn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default krylon no prep

anyone have any experience using krylon fusion hammerhead finish spray paint on a cart it says its for plastic and you dont have to prep it
codycthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Hotcat
What in the?

E-Z-GO

Default Re: krylon no prep

I just tried painting my top with gloss black krylon without prepping first. I just cleaned it with dish soap and sprayed it, it peeled right up, I end up spending two days sanding it all off. I found some surface prep for plastics at Walmart. I should have used this first, it took off the gloss finish on the top and the new coat of paint should be able to bond to it now.
Hotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

I used the Krylon Fusion hammered Metalic black (looks more like metallic charcoal gray) paint on my roof and the regular Krlon Fusion Satin Black on the nose piece of my cart and it looks great. It's been about 2 months with alot of abuse and washing with no problems. I did ALOT of prep though. #1 powerwash parts and let dry. #2 wash parts with rubbing alcohol and let dry. #3 drinks some beer while parts are drying; don't rush the drying time. #4 sand thoughly with 220 sand paper and blow dust off. #5 drink more beer (A very important step; if not the dust gets caught in your throught). #6 wash parts with rubbing alcohol again and let dry. #7 While parts are drying; drink more beer and don't rush the drying time. #8 Spay parts with Krylon Fusion paint; use alot of light coats ( I used 8 cans on my roof). #8 Only if spaying in an enclosed area; get outside and breath in some fresh air (the combination of the beer and the paint fumes will give you a head rush. If you take your time and follow all the above listed instructions; you will get good results.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In plastics injection molding they use a plastic release spray on the molds...It's kind of like silicone or teflon. ( I think it is silicone) Kinda like Pam cooking spray...armorall...?
This film needs to be removed for most anything to stick. Alcohol works , as Fleck said. Some solvents can weaken/soften plastic, so be careful.
Just FYI
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have lightly sanded and painted ... it sticks very good. They sell a primer for plastic, which I think is a good idea.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
In plastics injection molding they use a plastic release spray on the molds...It's kind of like silicone or teflon. ( I think it is silicone) Kinda like Pam cooking spray...armorall...?
This film needs to be removed for most anything to stick. Alcohol works , as Fleck said. Some solvents can weaken/soften plastic, so be careful.
Just FYI
About 8 years ago I bought a new aftermarket dash pad for my Fairlane. It only came in black so you had to dye/paint it to match the interior. out of the box it felt like had oil or silicone on it as Tonyton mentioned. After getting no help from the manufacture I resorted to a forum very much like this one. I was told to wipe the dash pad down and lesve it in direct sunlight to dry. I was told to do this every day for 14 days. after doing this the dye adhered perfectly. It's all about the prep
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If brake cleaner spray doesn't damage it. It would be good as a cleaner..drys fast with no film.
Sanding will always work, also
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is really no way around using some sort of adhesion promoter before painting plastic.In the end it will be worth it and the paint will last.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
todd108s
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I painted my cart with krylon fusion,I sanded,and whipped clean.
I did do many lite coat's and yet if I even LOOK at the cart wrong the stuff chip's off.
I'm very,very adjitated,spent many hour's getting the paint job I wanted.Now I have to do TWICE the work ,remove all the fresh paint and start all over.Where did I go wrong.I don't want to have to do it again and again...
todd108s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Todd
So after you sand the old paint off I would suggest getting just straight adhesion promotor and applying that first I use either Dupont or PPG , if indeed you are sure the body is plastic. I know they say the adhesion promotor is already in the fusion paint but this way you can be sure the plastic is soft.
Also make sure you use wax and grease remover before spraying, wipe it on with a rag and wipe it off with a dry rag, do not let it dry on it's own. I know you said you wiped it down but I wasn't sure what method or product you used .
Make sure when you are working on you're project that there is no silicone products around either "ie Armor All", silicone is paints worst enemy when spraying even if it is 20 feet away.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint