lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: $150 Club Car see pictures, needs help

That's a pretty solid cart for that price. The seat bottom is alot newer than '87, not that it matters. You'll need new seat foam, obviously, but reupholstering the seats is easy and inexpensive. Plan on seatbelts as well, which are also not that expensive, but I am not a fan of retractable.

There's no battery tray, per se. The batteries rest on the metal angle spars themselves, which do have a tendency to corrode over time. The batteries are your biggest hurdle right now: Refurbs simply won't last as long as new, but new are alot more money. You may want to call golf cart shops that buy and flip fleet carts, as they often have stacks of used good batteries for cheap (no cores required). If you end up needing cores, that gets expensive, and automotive batteries sometimes are not accepted. Ask your vendor. Keep watching Offerup, Nextdoor and FB marketplace for batteries. People upgrade to 48v or lithium and sell the old ones.

My favorite penetrating spray is PB Blaster, but here's a cool video that may help you choose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEo...el=ProjectFarm

Are your battery cables missing? Order up some 2 or 4 gauge, which are overkill at this point, but better than 6 gauge. You can make your own easily enough or order them as a set or individually.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #12
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
That's a pretty solid cart for that price. The seat bottom is alot newer than '87, not that it matters. You'll need new seat foam, obviously, but reupholstering the seats is easy and inexpensive. Plan on seatbelts as well, which are also not that expensive, but I am not a fan of retractable.

There's no battery tray, per se. The batteries rest on the metal angle spars themselves, which do have a tendency to corrode over time. The batteries are your biggest hurdle right now: Refurbs simply won't last as long as new, but new are alot more money. You may want to call golf cart shops that buy and flip fleet carts, as they often have stacks of used good batteries for cheap (no cores required). If you end up needing cores, that gets expensive, and automotive batteries sometimes are not accepted. Ask your vendor. Keep watching Offerup, Nextdoor and FB marketplace for batteries. People upgrade to 48v or lithium and sell the old ones.

My favorite penetrating spray is PB Blaster, but here's a cool video that may help you choose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEo...el=ProjectFarm

Are your battery cables missing? Order up some 2 or 4 gauge, which are overkill at this point, but better than 6 gauge. You can make your own easily enough or order them as a set or individually.

I seem to have the battery cables, and hold downs. Good used batteries would be aswome. I was just quoted $360 for 6 refurb batteries, with a 6 month warranty (no cores needed, dont have any cores as mentioned)

But the framework at the batteries seems 95 percent solid

Thanks for all the tips, believe me, I need them lol
shawn01754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #13
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

You need to find out how they were refurbished. If they were drained, cleaned out with baking soda, then flushed and filled with acid, they may hold up for a while. Anything else and you're flushing your money. Core value is usually around $30 a battery.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Good Moring and happy Easter,
the brakes really look rusty. It almost seems to work like an e brake system? and the action of braking is done with cables and springs? the parking brake is really rusted on the pedal portion. However, I sprayed all of the components I can see with PB plaster. I will say, there is no rust on the frame, It almost seems to be aluminum? there's some rust on the rear axle, where the u bolts mount, but doesnt seem to be extensive, its the only area i can see that is questionable. Ill get more pictures today, and possible more questions as well lol.

whats the next step on freeing up the brakes?pull the rear wheels and work the drum off?

Also curious if anyone knows where I can get the seat foam and seat covers?
Old 04-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn01754 View Post
Good Moring and happy Easter,
the brakes really look rusty. It almost seems to work like an e brake system? and the action of braking is done with cables and springs? the parking brake is really rusted on the pedal portion. However, I sprayed all of the components I can see with PB plaster. I will say, there is no rust on the frame, It almost seems to be aluminum? there's some rust on the rear axle, where the u bolts mount, but doesnt seem to be extensive, its the only area i can see that is questionable. Ill get more pictures today, and possible more questions as well lol.

whats the next step on freeing up the brakes?pull the rear wheels and work the drum off?

Also curious if anyone knows where I can get the seat foam and seat covers?
Get the cart running. Drive the heck out of it and see how bad the brakes are dragging after that.

Get the cart running. You have an almost free, nice cart. Put new batteries in it and go from there.

In the meanwhile it wouldn't hurt to jack the rear up, take the wheels off and tap the drums with a hammer.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #16
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn01754 View Post
there is no rust on the frame, It almost seems to be aluminum?
Club Car frames are aluminum, it's one of the reasons they are so popular. I live on the coast and have several carts (DS's and Precedents) only corrosion I've seen on the frames is due to leaking batteries.

I just installed covers from Up To Par Covers, very pleased with the results. Not sure about foam but I think it should be easy to find. Sometimes the plywood is rotted, but that's easy to replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat 1.jpg (243.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Seat 2.jpg (258.4 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMJ View Post
Club Car frames are aluminum, it's one of the reasons they are so popular. I live on the coast and have several carts (DS's and Precedents) only corrosion I've seen on the frames is due to leaking batteries.

I just installed covers from Up To Par Covers, very pleased with the results. Not sure about foam but I think it should be easy to find. Sometimes the plywood is rotted, but that's easy to replace.
Great job. Those look fantastic.

Shawn. you may be able to piece some foam into what you have. Hard to tell from the photo. Either way, like Dave I have had great results with UPTOPAR.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #18
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMJ View Post

Those seats look great, I really like that rear seat too, very authentic looking. I would really like to find one like that..but Im sure its impossible.

I will drive the wheels off it, but the brakes are not working at all. I got the throttle pedal working normally. I've been spraying everything with the PB blaster twice a day. Ill pull the wheels off tomorrow. I can see one wheel is free and one is locked solid. the brake starts to move, as soon as it hits the cables it stops

I notice it says made in the usa on the motor, or maybe i was hallucinating

may i ask, I can order keys that fit, without changing lock? I never got an ignition key.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #19
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

all older club cars are the same- order from anywhere.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #20
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Update...got the rear wheels pulled, lubed the accelerator pedal- now it seems to be working great! lubed the linkage on the rear brakes, pulled off the hubs. Sanded the hubs, inside and out. Exercised the linkage on the brakes and now they work great! The cart rolls freely now! The only issue is the parking brake. I had it working, but the rod end link is rusted and falls off. Ill order a new set up. Seems cheap enough, almost time to dive into batterys, seats and a paint job lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car