lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Culumbia 2007 Summit suv-l - hi low switch

I have a 2007 summit suv-l. When I got it the dash did not have a the optional high low switch installed and a plug was in the hole in the dash so I assume it never had it. The two black wires were under the dash. I installed a toggle switch but do not see any difference in speed. ( I do want to slow is down for my mother and kids who may drive it)

Motor was rebuilt by D&D in NY, new batteries, and #2 battery cables.

Does the controller have to be programed for the switch to work or is there more to it than just installing a switch.
inairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: Culumbia 2007 Summit suv-l - hi low switch

Just to make sure you have the correct wires, at the ends of the wires there are little white stamps showing wire numbers. Should be #23 and #24.

The circuit is designed so that without the switch there is an open line going to the controller pin 6.

With the switch installed, if not active it keeps that circuit open still. But if the switch is activated then it send the data line of pin 6 to battery - .

There is no programming that is required to the controller, it's a standard program for the controllers and the only difference in having that "option" is the existence of the switch.

With all that said, it's also important to know what you "full" or "high" speed is running. An issue many miss is that the summit line used an encoded heavy duty motor. If the speed encoder goes bad (pretty normal in time) then the signal doesn't get to the controller and limits overall speeds. Scenario example for a quick encoder test goes like this:
NORMAL OPERATION WITH ENCODER
1. In forward the vehicle is programmed for 100% of capable high speed, or 18mph top speed in high (or without the hi/low switch).
2. In reverse the vehicle is programmed for a top speed of 30% of the capable high speed, in this case would be about 6mph.

DEFAULT OPERATION FOR FAULTY ENCODER
1. In forward the vehicle would default to a safety or limp mode thinking something is wrong with the motor or axle. The new speed in high would be 50% of the preprogrammed high speed, meaning your new speed would be just 9mph.
2. In reverse, the safety mode works the same, the vehicle defaults to 50% of capable high speed. So in this case, that means 50% of the maximum which if you remember had been 18mph, so the vehicle would now go 9mph in reverse also.

So the quick and dirty check is that if the speed in reverse is the same as forward, most likely the speed encoder isn't working properly, or isn't installed/connected. Often times I have seen where a motor was rebuilt, or removed then installed by someone else and the encoder gets missed.

The solution for the faulty or missing encoder can be either to replace it/reconnect it, or turn off the encoder search at the controller so it doesn't look for it. If just turning off, there is no real difference where an operator would even know.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thank you. I will do the speed test.

The company was very knowledgeable about the motor and did replace the encoder in the rebuild. I did reconnect when I installed it but I do not know for sure it works.

How do you " turn off the encoder search at the controller"
Old 04-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Controller has to be reprogrammed and isn’t an end user item. Would need either the laptop software or the handheld device to do it. Or send the controller in.

Also check the three pin connection for the encoder at the harness and make sure each pin is fully seated in the connector.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I reseated the encoder connection and did a speed run with GPS giving me 18-20 mph and reverse about 8-9 mph. So the encoder is ok. I need to check the wire numbers one was 23 but I am not sure the other number was 24 or 22.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

The wire numbers are 22 & 23 which is what I have for the wire harness numbers for the hi low switch schematic for carts with digital BDI. I will check the other continunitey on 23 and to ground and 22 to pin 6 on the controller connector.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 AM   #7
Ironman_83
Not Yet Wild

Hey friend have you gotten your hi low switch working? I have an 07 summit with a hi lo switch. Seems to be doing the same thing as yours. Switch dosen't slow the cart at all. I get 18-19mph with switch in either position. I'm glad it's not stuck in turtle mode but would like to be able to slow it down for my kids. Haha daughter has a need for speed..
Ironman_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Seems like best way now to figure out the problem would be with the diagnostic tool/handset. It's the only way to see what the controller is seeing, and a lot better than throwing time and parts at the wrong area. I love the simple things, but sometimes you have to go with the meters....sorry.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

OK so I checked continuity and wire 23 has continuity to negative on the battery bank and 22 goes to pin 6 on the wire harness - no wire breaks.

So the issue with hi low in my case is inside the controller as Tech thought. I will have look into sending the control to a service center over the winter
Old 05-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #10
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Fyi, in over ten years at Columbia as the tech support manager I NEVER saw the controller cause this problem. Where are you located?

Tags
hi low switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar