lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Hawkeyestoob
Not Yet Wild

Default How much wrap do I need???

I am pondering a couple of options for my new to me 01 EZGO TXT.

Option 1 would be to wrap it in a solid color. Any ideas how many and what size sheet(s) I should order for this?

Option 2 would be to get the center/raised section of the front and the areas below the body line on the sides around to the back of the cart. Any ideas how many and what size sheet(s) I should order for this?

Thanks
Hawkeyestoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: How much wrap do I need???

That's some pretty specific information you are asking for. I don't recall anyone ever asking about making their own wraps. You are probably going to have to go old school and do your best to measure the surface area you are trying to cover.

Are you sure you even want to go that route? There are more than a handful of vendors online that sell wraps that are cut and ready to be installed. They aren't all that much money. $300 or so for solid colors.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Hawkeyestoob
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
That's some pretty specific information you are asking for. I don't recall anyone ever asking about making their own wraps. You are probably going to have to go old school and do your best to measure the surface area you are trying to cover.

Are you sure you even want to go that route? There are more than a handful of vendors online that sell wraps that are cut and ready to be installed. They aren't all that much money. $300 or so for solid colors.
I know that I am asking something very specific. I was hoping that someone here had some experience and could give me an idea or two. As for why I want to do it myself - I am very much a hands on person and from what I can tell I think I will have about $120ish into film and supplies to do what I want. Even at that I suspect I will end up with a good amount extra.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I wasn't knocking you my good man! With the "no one ever asked that" line I didn't mean that to be a dig in any way! I was trying to say I don't recall this ever being a topic here so don't be shocked if you don't get a response. Didn't want you to think guys were blowing you off.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew that those wraps our available. Cool if you like to do that stuff yourself. I am the same way.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did a full wrap on my cart and I think it took about 12ft of the roll if I remember, you have a lot of scrap but to get the full amount with no seems you need the 12ft. Here's a couple pictures.

The better brands like 3M are the best to work with and last longer.
The adhesive is better and wraps to convex curves better also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170120_154923.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170120_154749.jpg (125.9 KB, 0 views)
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

I wrapped my 01 txt 3 years ago. I found it in 36" wide and ordered (I think 15 feet(could have maybe done it with 12) as stated there is a lot of waste. if you do the front hood in one piece (I did) then one down each side in the back(2'x4' ish) (rear fenders are a pain) one for the center (1'x3'ish. then some pieces for the bagwell(just use scrapes). please don't use my measurements to cut by. will also warn that the body has to be as good as for paint. I didn't know that and some sanding lines show. think all said and done had about $150 with wrap, filler, sand paper and beer
20150729_172405.jpg
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Hawkeyestoob
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I wasn't knocking you my good man! With the "no one ever asked that" line I didn't mean that to be a dig in any way! I was trying to say I don't recall this ever being a topic here so don't be shocked if you don't get a response. Didn't want you to think guys were blowing you off.
No worries at all Lochlin and certainly no need for an apology! I didn't take it as rude or even smart a** and trust me I am fluent in smart a**.

Thanks for the input Seaquell and Jethaulin. I am looking at getting a 5X15' roll of wrap form VViViD Vinyls. I figure that should give me plenty to work with and having some extra will probably be a good thing. I have heard good things about their vinyls so I am thinking I will be OK there.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I too am considering wrapping my CCDS. I've never done one before but it can't be rocket science. What color are you thinking of? Why did you decide on Vivid? I'm looking at the carbon fiber colors or something gloss. I would like to hear more about installation from someone who has done one. Seams are something I've gotten several opinions on. Some say butt joints, some say overlap. Keep us posted on your progress.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Hawkeyestoob
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
What color are you thinking of?
Why did you decide on Vivid?
I'm looking at the carbon fiber colors or something gloss.
Keep us posted on your progress.
I am actually going about the complete opposite end of the color spectrum from you... I am planning on going with matte black. Trying to keep it kinda old school looking. I was looking at the Vvivid stuff based on a recommendation from my brother-in-law that was the lead mechanic at a high end motorcycle shop for years. He said they did some amazing things with the stuff and it wasn't bad to work with at all. I should add that it is also easy to get from places like Amazon so that helps.

I will let you know how it goes. BTW that is a sweet looking Vette you have there.

Last edited by Hawkeyestoob; 05-03-2017 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 05-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
harriswallace
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought 12'x5' 3m control tac. First time I ever wrapped something. I did the font cowl by myself and I definitely could have used a extra set of hands. There was a few times i was like rip it all off. Definitely have to have patience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8242.jpg (592.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8238.jpg (641.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8235.jpg (490.1 KB, 0 views)
harriswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center