lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor swap with another older motor

I was gonna put in another robins motor that I found in my cart. Guy said it ran when he parked it but it's been sitting for years. Is there anything I should do before I put it in besides new oil, plugs and turn the clutch to see if motor is not frozen?
kauai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor swap with another older motor

Probably best if We have some more detailed info, in the early 200's the Robins twins changed from the "Pre-MCI" style to the MCI engine - they are very similar and are interchangeable in regards to how they bolt in, etc but the electronics aren't compatible, the exhausts are different, etc so make *sure* both of the engines are the same style or You'll be looking at considerable expense and headaches in addition to the swap itself. It would help to know the year of your cart as well as the donor cart
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

I have a 94 get 804 and not sure what size motor in it because I can't find the motor id on it. This is my motor

The motor the guy is giving me looks rough. Not sure what one it is but he said it was an 87 but that might just be the number on side.

Unfortunately that's all the info I have right now. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's not an 87. They are single cylinder 2 strokes. Yours are both twin cylinder 4 strokes.

I think it would be unrealistic to swap that engine, and expect it to run without a complete going through.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

That's was I was afraid of.

I know prices vary from place to place but if I buy the rebuild kit, how much does it cost to have a shop rebuild it? Just looking at what a ballpark figure is. $500ish?
Old 11-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

How difficult would it be to do myself? Is there a lot of special tools I would need? I used to be an auto mechanic for a few years but never did any motor rebuilds.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Zypher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am in the process of rebuilding my 97 robin and did not have any "special tools". I am not sure about your motor but I have enjoyed my project. I would just advise getting a good breaker bar, rounded bolt removers and alot of pb blast.
Zypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Those engines are both pre-MCI so they are compatible, but given the fact that they look like they've been sitting for quite awhile, I would think a rebuild is a good plan ... CT Rebuilds will take your old engine as a core and send You a brand new rebuilt one for around $600, that's the easiest route to go, for around another $100 or so they also offer an upgraded performance engine that will give you about 4hp over the 9hp stock engine, just a thought ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Those engines are both pre-MCI so they are compatible, but given the fact that they look like they've been sitting for quite awhile, I would think a rebuild is a good plan ... CT Rebuilds will take your old engine as a core and send You a brand new rebuilt one for around $600, that's the easiest route to go, for around another $100 or so they also offer an upgraded performance engine that will give you about 4hp over the 9hp stock engine, just a thought ...
That sounds like a pretty good deal. I think the rebuild kits are like 500 anyways. Those engines have a pretty good reputation? I'd also have to factor shipping in and see which arm and leg I wanna give up.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher View Post
I am in the process of rebuilding my 97 robin and did not have any "special tools". I am not sure about your motor but I have enjoyed my project. I would just advise getting a good breaker bar, rounded bolt removers and alot of pb blast.
I was looking at one of the threads you made and it looks like you have a fun looking build going on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO