lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default hybrid

Has anyone tried building a gas powered hybrid? It would seem to be the a way to convert all the cheap battery dead carts into something useful without some of hack jobs I seem.Can it be done? I not educated enough in dc or ac electricity to know.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Default Re: hybrid

ezgo makes one from the factory
http://ezgo.com/Exceed.html
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
rib33024

Make you one of these and you will have one. Gas and electric

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Could the generating system be put into a cart and stepped up to run the electric motor directly?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I was not aware of the ezgo and the charging trailer is a neat item.I guess more what I had in mind would be more like a diesel electric locomotive where you produce enough current to power the vehicle directly.Idealy something affordable like a clone powered generating system powering an electric golf cart motor.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

You run out of room quickly which is why the EZGO doesn't have a bagwell due to components being there. And the EZGO is stupid expensive.

I have been thinking about this a lot though. Heres my idea: Our site sponsor, Imaginative makes a two speed axle for electric carts. It also happens to come with a forward facing output shaft just in case you ever wanted to upgrade to their 4X4 kit. Ive been trying to figure out a way to squeeze a small motor between the axle and the battery pack and connect it to the output shaft.

...If I could get it to fit it would work ...at least it does in my head.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I was hoping someone with gas generator knowlege could devise a way to power a electric golf cart without the battery packs.I.had wondered if this already existed.Maybe it is just not possible.I just envisioned the generator powering directly to an electric motor making many more transaxles without reverse useable. Also the instant torque of an electric motor with fewer driveline issues.I guess it is not so simple or someone would have produced a kit.But I guess two years ago if you wanted a clone engine in your cart you had better have been a welder machinist.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I was hoping someone with gas generator knowledge could devise a way to power a electric golf cart without the battery packs.I.had wondered if this already existed.Maybe it is just not possible.I just envisioned the generator powering directly to an electric motor making many more transaxles without reverse useable. Also the instant torque of an electric motor with fewer driveline issues.I guess it is not so simple or someone would have produced a kit.But I guess two years ago if you wanted a clone engine in your cart you had better have been a welder machinist.
Ahhh think I see where your headed now. You are thinking along the same lines as the way a diesel locomotive works? Its diesel powered generator produces enough electricity to run the electric motor. Sure its possible to also do in a golf cart, but I think the "generator" would need to be massive (much larger than anything that will fit in a stock golf cart) to produce enough current to match the output of the batteries. Not very practical ...yet. However, you could compromise and go with a smaller generator and just "extend" your run time of batteries, I believe this is the way the EZGO Hybrid works so its technically not a true hybrid. Its basically all electric with a gas powered range extender.

I still stand by my Hybrid idea in my first post. Batteries run low, then switch to gas power.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

a/c gen and a a/c cart motor ?

is there a 110v or 220v a/c motor that will bolt up to a cart axle fitting ?

but then all the controls and wires are needed also
likely cost too much
and to use batterys too needs a big powerful inverter also for more costs

I looked to see if a cheap 36v d/c gen existed but can't find one

I saw a 6hp a/c motor at a swap meet for $100 looked huge and heavy
and needed 220v 3 phase or 440v a/c so no way to test if it worked
nota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota View Post
is there a 110v or 220v a/c motor that will bolt up to a cart axle fitting ?

but then all the controls and wires are needed also
likely cost too much
Yup, a several AC motors (and complete conversion kits) already exist for golf carts. The full conversion runs around $3,000 & up
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!