lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Laser
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default motor upgrade opinions

I have a 2007 48V Precedent, 4" lift kit, 22" tires, Alltrax DCX 500A controller and HD solenoid, #4AWG wires. My cart is used for sporting clays - mostly on paths and trails and there are often hills requiring a bit of torque. I now want to upgrade the stock motor and I've seen so much information on various posts that I wanted to get opinions on a selection:

PQ Bandit - will there be enough of a difference from a stock motor?
The Beast - is that over the top or just about right?
D&D - are there really issues with bearings or was that one person's experience?
The Admiral and The Commander - is enough known about them to make a solid recommendation?

If this question has been asked before (and it probably has) my apologies.
Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
lmswest
Gone Wild

Default Re: motor upgrade opinions

D& d has my vote all the way.. a little tough to get them on the phone but if you know what you want you can just order from one of the vendors here and not worry about anything..
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
El Camino
Gone Wild
Club Car

I just order the PQ Grizzly II as per Robby Steens advice. He went through with me what I was doing with the cart, how it was set up and what I wanted to spend. He explained everything to me since this is my first build.
Give them a call, he'll have to give you a call back, but he can help you out.
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
I have a 2007 48V Precedent, 4" lift kit, 22" tires, Alltrax DCX 500A controller and HD solenoid, #4AWG wires. My cart is used for sporting clays - mostly on paths and trails and there are often hills requiring a bit of torque. I now want to upgrade the stock motor and I've seen so much information on various posts that I wanted to get opinions on a selection:

PQ Bandit - will there be enough of a difference from a stock motor?
The Beast - is that over the top or just about right?
D&D - are there really issues with bearings or was that one person's experience?
The Admiral and The Commander - is enough known about them to make a solid recommendation?

If this question has been asked before (and it probably has) my apologies.
I have almost your exact setup: 07 Precedent, 6" lift, 23" tires, 500A Alltrax DCX, 400A solenoid, 4Gwires... I also have the D&D Torque & Speed focus motor. It works great. 22-23mph and was able to climb every muddy, rutted hill at our hunt camp in nothern Alabama.

So, my vote is clearly the D&D (part no. 170-502-0002). Make sure you ask for the torque and speed motor - interestingly they have a torque only motor with same part no. on their web site.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I have the dcx 500 and i put in a GE d1163 it has 7 non peak hP at 5106 rpm and goes about 25 mph, the hills we have at our golf course are not big but the ones we do have do not effect my speed. I have stock tires and no lift.

Just remember that if you are comparing to peak hp that that is only obtainable only a second or two or motor will implode. I read my GE motor has 22 peak hp.

Whatever you get make sure you upgrade controller with proper field map
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Here is an interesting read about peak and non peak HP
http://golfcarportal.com/news/htelectric.php
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
lmswest
Gone Wild

Chaser, keep in mind that page is written by a company that sells ge motors exclusively.. Ill put my d&d motor against the ge any day regardless of hp ratings.. Have you seen any Ge equipped carts going 28 plus mph with stock tires?
Ive seen multiple carts with d&d motors that are only advertised as 22-23 mph going 28 plus.
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswest View Post
Chaser, keep in mind that page is written by a company that sells ge motors exclusively.. Ill put my d&d motor against the ge any day regardless of hp ratings.. Have you seen any Ge equipped carts going 28 plus mph with stock tires?
Ive seen multiple carts with d&d motors that are only advertised as 22-23 mph going 28 plus.
I am not pushing any product, only posting my experience and what I have read, just trying to give some good info, you obviously love D&D and that is great, just trying to give the real scoop.\
Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Talking Re: motor upgrade opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswest View Post
Also, as far as I know my GE D1163 is the best high torque/speed motor they offer for IQ, probably because that is the fastest that is street legal in a golf cart.

That is why the other motors advertise less, so they do not get in trouble.

Guess the bottom line is how fast do you want to go?

BTW if you ever get my way we can race for pinks
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

""Ive seen multiple carts with d&d motors that are only advertised as 22-23 mph going 28 plus.""

Really? You have actually seen them?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car