lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 stroke voltage regulator

Have a 90 3pg where I believe the original voltage reg took a crop. The battery doesn't charge up past 12.4 volts. Grounded the green wire from the gen to the frame and got 16 to 18 volts to rule out the starter gen.
So I ordered a Amazon special voltage reg. Does the same thing. Redid all the wires and grounds. I have another running 3pg cart. Green wire is getting around 8 volts and red around 11-13vs. I had amazon send a replacement reg and still the same thing. Not charging the battery past 12.3 volts while running wide open.
Now I'm assuming these Chinese regulators are all junk. But is there something I'm missing? I haven't tried the good regulator off my other cart yet. But I did order a nivel after market one. The running cart puts out the same number from the green and red wires to the voltage reg as the other cart does.
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
Gws67
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2 stroke voltage regulator

Have you looked up on polarizing the voltage regulator? Someone on here probably can post the way to do it.
Gws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gws67 View Post
Have you looked up on polarizing the voltage regulator? Someone on here probably can post the way to do it.
Never even heard of that.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You did the test right, and that does indicate a bad regulator.

I would open up the original, and clean both sets of points with sandpaper. See what happens. You might get lucky.

Are you measuring the voltage at the battery with a multimeter?

In dash meters are not as accurate.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
You did the test right, and that does indicate a bad regulator.

I would open up the original, and clean both sets of points with sandpaper. See what happens. You might get lucky.

Are you measuring the voltage at the battery with a multimeter?

In dash meters are not as accurate.
I'm testing at battery.
The original regulator I believe is beyond that. I pulled this cart from a field that it sat without a seat and back cover for probably 15 years. I redid everything in the past few months and it ran great. I recently repulled the motor to redo crank bearings just cause and when I put the motor back in that's when I discovered the problem.
I took the cover off the ignitor and it looks like at one point water sat inside for awhile. There's actually a rust line halfway up the case.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had the same issue. I too ordered a replacement from Amazon. I ended up having to open up the regulator and turn the adjustment screw slightly clockwise. Worked like a charm.

For grins and giggles I cleaned the contacts on the original regulator. It still wasn't charging properly. Turned the adjustment screw and it worked perfectly as well.
theboz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would never mess with the adjusting screws.
After sitting unused for a long duration, the contact points can oxidize .
Take some fine sandpaper and cut small pieces. Pull those pieces back and forth between points and keep changing the paper until you don't see anything on sandpaper. Most of the time that will make it charge again. Thanks to cartaround for reminding me about the points
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO