lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Default EZGO Rear and Motor Suggestions

I have a 1986 Marathon 2 Stroke w/ 3PG in it currently. I'm set on doing a big block upgrade, but trying to decide direction. Two questions:

If you were swapping in a rear from a 4 stroke cart to retain reverse, are there any specific carts I should try and get one from (or stay away from)?

I am doing a HF Predator Motor and I want to purchase while on sale this month. What are the opinions on doing a built 420 vs a 670? I'm really wanting more displacement that the 670cc motor offers, but don't want to have to put a big lift on the cart to get it to fit. Open to any and all feedback.
NEMESIS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO Rear and Motor Suggestions

Both motors will be a big improvement over the stock engine. More than likely you'll need a big lift to fit the 670. Have you considered the Vegas Carts 625? Though I thought I read on here that they were currently unavailable.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Both motors will be a big improvement over the stock engine. More than likely you'll need a big lift to fit the 670. Have you considered the Vegas Carts 625? Though I thought I read on here that they were currently unavailable.
I'm considering moving the motor to the back of the cart (where the second row would be) to keep from having to lift the vehicle too high. I'm leaning towards the 420cc motor just because of the lift requirement if I try and stuff under the seat.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You'll need a 4 stroke transaxle. The one that comes to mind is the ME29 that comes in the EZGO carts. They have different versions, the early ones used a coil spring suspension of some sort. The later ones used leaf springs. Either one can be used if you can fabricate suspension mounts etc.

You'll also need the matching secondary clutch for that transaxle.

The 420 engine will be an easier fit, just being more compact and all. The 670 will have twice the torque the 420 has, but it's very tall and wide comparatively.

I'm not sure what you're saying about moving the engine to the rear? Never seen that done.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
You'll need a 4 stroke transaxle. The one that comes to mind is the ME29 that comes in the EZGO carts. They have different versions, the early ones used a coil spring suspension of some sort. The later ones used leaf springs. Either one can be used if you can fabricate suspension mounts etc.

You'll also need the matching secondary clutch for that transaxle.

The 420 engine will be an easier fit, just being more compact and all. The 670 will have twice the torque the 420 has, but it's very tall and wide comparatively.
Thanks for the info! I'm actively looking for a 4 stroke transaxle, would prefer a coil spring version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying about moving the engine to the rear? Never seen that done.
Saw one done on youtube with the motor in the back, picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 1.23.57 PM.png (690.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMESIS9 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm actively looking for a 4 stroke transaxle, would prefer a coil spring version.

Saw one done on youtube with the motor in the back, picture attached.
I guess if you like that look of the engine hanging out the back and visible...not my thing... But to each his own. I suppose it would work ok. I've never seen one in person so I can't comment on how well it works. I would think it to be much louder than if it were under the cart. Also, exposed moving parts could be dangerous if someone were to try and ride in the back or if you are transporting anything that might hang down like ropes, cords, etc.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!