lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G16 Vanguard Build

I picked up this Yamaha G16 cart a couple years ago, been sitting on it waiting until the right time to work on it. I finally got a/c in my barn, so now is the time!

The plan is to swap the stock engine in favor of a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 16hp Vtwin engine, aka 479cc, aka 29 cubic inches (29.23).

The engine will be stock. Clutch will be Comet 780. No suspension lift. Wheels and tires will be stock. Cart will be painted.

The stock engine will be compression tested and sold. The air intake, clutch, and muffler will all be sold. If anyone is interested PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (490.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (522.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (522.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (503.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (388.3 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G16 Vanguard Build

Looks like a solid good canidate for this conversion. Also wanted to mention that the single pivot point on the rear swing arm will have some sway.....more when lifted. I put a set of Jakes heavy duty rear shocks on mine and it fixed it right up. You'll like this conversation on a stock platform. The cart will have much more " seat in the pants feel " because it will turn the stock tires effortlessly. It's alot of stress on motors, clutches and belts when these carts are lifted and turning over size tires.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Looks like a solid good canidate for this conversion. Also wanted to mention that the single pivot point on the rear swing arm will have some sway.....more when lifted. I put a set of Jakes heavy duty rear shocks on mine and it fixed it right up. You'll like this conversation on a stock platform. The cart will have much more " seat in the pants feel " because it will turn the stock tires effortlessly. It's alot of stress on motors, clutches and belts when these carts are lifted and turning over size tires.
Thanks Gary, I'll probably pick your brain a few times on this one, although it looks pretty straight forward.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:25 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Well, with the addition of my new 2 post lift.....I think I need to get this cart done....FINALLY! My son (16) wants to build it and lock the diff lol. He wants to make it a sleeper drift cart. Another well respected member here hooked me up with a diff housing (thank you sir!!!) but I have yet to swap the internals. I'm wondering if I should put 8:1 gears in it while I'm rebuilding it. I don't see this cart going off road so maybe the tall gears will make it more fun to drive. I see it just being a "run down to the neighbors" cart, and "do some donuts in the front yard" cart.

What do you all think?
Old 11-09-2023, 08:26 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

BTW I did sell the stock engine to another member, basically paid for the cart. So at this point I have $0 in this one.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:53 AM   #6
Tom12254
Getting Wild

I vote go with the 8:1 gears since you'll have it apart already! 🤣 I see you're planning on running the 780 clutch, seems like the most popular clutch people use, I ordered the CVTech 06 for my build (almost the same price as 780 but (suppose to be) more heavy duty than the 780. What makes people choose the 780 over the CVTech?
Tom12254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:07 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom12254 View Post
I vote go with the 8:1 gears since you'll have it apart already! 🤣 I see you're planning on running the 780 clutch, seems like the most popular clutch people use, I ordered the CVTech 06 for my build (almost the same price as 780 but (suppose to be) more heavy duty than the 780. What makes people choose the 780 over the CVTech?
I've used the 780 on a few carts and they are light, smooth, and hold up to the Vtwins really well. Not sure why I chose that, but its what I know so I'm sticking to it. If it works, why change? Right?
Old 11-18-2023, 08:49 AM   #8
Tom12254
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I've used the 780 on a few carts and they are light, smooth, and hold up to the Vtwins really well. Not sure why I chose that, but its what I know so I'm sticking to it. If it works, why change? Right?
Totally makes sense! If it's not broken don't fix it!
Old 11-24-2023, 11:24 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom12254 View Post
I got my CCP 23 Vanguard in 2012 and it came with the CVTech 06. I never had to touch it...

On a side note, I found that the stock air cleaner sucked in dusty conditions. After I found dust in the carb throat, I switched to a remote filter from a Kohler zero turn. It was too large to fit under the seat of the G16, so it went under the cargo bed.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=69938 Build thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2194.JPG (1,019.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170305_123611.jpg (304.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170305_154325.jpg (460.4 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:29 PM   #10
Tom12254
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I got my CCP 23 Vanguard in 2012 and it came with the CVTech 06. I never had to touch it...

On a side note, I found that the stock air cleaner sucked in dusty conditions. After I found dust in the carb throat, I switched to a remote filter from a Kohler zero turn. It was too large to fit under the seat of the G16, so it went under the cargo bed.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=69938 Build thread
I actually was looking at your build thread the other day trying to figure out where you got the carb adapter for the air filter you're using! Now that I've got a part number I might do the same thing. Do you happen to know the part number of the Kholer airbox? I see they make a few different sizes on Amazon, I was thinking maybe go 1 size down from what you have to fit it under my seat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!