lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Hour meter wiring

How are you guys wiring your hour meters? To the key switch so it records anytime key is in on position or hooking into the stator output somehow with diodes so it only logs when engine is actually running?
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Hour meter wiring

I use a tiny tach for the hour meter function. It is self powered and is triggered by the signal from the spark plug impulse so no extra wiring is required.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ya mine has club car meter mounted on frame. Wonder if it will run off the ac output from the stator. If I only use 1 pole should be around 6-7v AC. This way would only count when engine is running.. just don’t know if the hour meter supports ac input and or if the range is low enough to accept the 6-7v
Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Meter is 10-80vdc 👎🏼
Old 06-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
Ya mine has club car meter mounted on frame. Wonder if it will run off the ac output from the stator. If I only use 1 pole should be around 6-7v AC. This way would only count when engine is running.. just don’t know if the hour meter supports ac input and or if the range is low enough to accept the 6-7v
Warning -- the alternator has a 26-30 AC VOLTAGE OUTPUT @3600 rpm

I would hook it to the key switch -- what reason would you have the key on and the machine not running?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have on numerous occasions went to the garage to use my cart and noticed I left the key in the on position for some reason or the other. I changed the oil on my mower and it was at 200 hours or so. Went to use it next key was in on position and it was up to around 300 hours and battery was dead. I know it’s not ideal but it has happened to me more than once.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
I have on numerous occasions went to the garage to use my cart and noticed I left the key in the on position for some reason or the other. I changed the oil on my mower and it was at 200 hours or so. Went to use it next key was in on position and it was up to around 300 hours and battery was dead. I know it’s not ideal but it has happened to me more than once.

Maybe you could use a dash indicator light or tach or speedo background light to let you know the key is on.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Shepard question for you since I’m running same flywheel and stator as you- have you measured the ac voltage from the stator to the reducer while the motor is running? Also do you get voltage across the 2 lines or just from 1 line to ground? I found a 2” round hour meter that accepts 6-80v AC. I just trying to figure out if it will work before I order it and then weather it just needs 1 leg of the ac and common ground or if I need to just attach both legs from the stator. If you google “sh-1 hour meter” the unit I am looking at should pop up.

EDIT- I just saw you said output is 26-30VAC @ 3600 rpm. The meter will handle that. Is this measured across the 2 legs or from either leg to common ground?

Trying to set it up so I get a true reading of time on motor/oil.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Shepard question for you since I’m running same flywheel and stator as you- have you measured the ac voltage from the stator to the reducer while the motor is running? Also do you get voltage across the 2 lines or just from 1 line to ground? I found a 2” round hour meter that accepts 6-80v AC. I just trying to figure out if it will work before I order it and then weather it just needs 1 leg of the ac and common ground or if I need to just attach both legs from the stator. If you google “sh-1 hour meter” the unit I am looking at should pop up.

EDIT- I just saw you said output is 26-30VAC @ 3600 rpm. The meter will handle that. Is this measured across the 2 legs or from either leg to common ground?

Trying to set it up so I get a true reading of time on motor/oil.

The AC charging coil is insulated from the engine - both legs - DO NOT GROUND EITHER test either leg - ohm meter to ground - if you have a number other the 00.0 the coil is shorted out to ground and must be replaced. The AC volt meter needs wired across the 2 legs of the charge coil to read the output.
Mine's pretty complicated wiring wise but the volt meter was the simplest. I've said in the past - make it simple or write a book. I have a couple of small note books.
below is a link that gets you stator coil output.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/te435pdf.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6575.JPG (226.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
The AC charging coil is insulated from the engine - both legs - DO NOT GROUND EITHER test either leg - ohm meter to ground - if you have a number other the 00.0 the coil is shorted out to ground and must be replaced. The AC volt meter needs wired across the 2 legs of the charge coil to read the output.
Mine's pretty complicated wiring wise but the volt meter was the simplest. I've said in the past - make it simple or write a book. I have a couple of small note books.
below is a link that gets you stator coil output.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/te435pdf.pdf
Excellent info! THANK YOU! I will run 2 #16 gauge wires from the charge coil output ac wires to the hour meter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps