lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default OK I can't decide..

I have a yamaha g16 with a stock engine it has a Jake's lift on it and the engine is getting a bit tired. I can't decide what to put in it. A Briggs or VC V twin or a single cylindar. I probably want to run a bit higher RPM say 4500. I am somewhat handy but probably want a kit. What do yall suggest.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: OK I can't decide..

How much money are you willing to throw at it? The Briggs will cost you 3-4 times what a clone conversion runs. 375 for a 25hp VC VRX460 --- or --- 1400 for a 23hp Briggs. This is just speaking of the engine let alone clutches, mounts, belts and other assorted required parts.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
How much money are you willing to throw at it? The Briggs will cost you 3-4 times what a clone conversion runs. 375 for a 25hp VC VRX460 --- or --- 1400 for a 23hp Briggs. This is just speaking of the engine let alone clutches, mounts, belts and other assorted required parts.
Now if you're comparing "NEW" engine options....yep, agree, clone all the way. I see lots of people running the HF670 Vtwin with good reports, but I've never used one.

Cart Parts Plus Vanguard kits are very nice. The good thing about the Vanguard is they are proven to be reliable and tough engines, tested for decades in small equipment. These kits are pricey though, but you get high quality stuff.

If you are on a budget, I did a Briggs Vanguard conversion for less than $700 including the engine. It was a used engine, but in good condition. You can buy just the parts you need from CPP and/or Vegas Carts, or you can use their entire kit with your own engine. Lots have done this.

Vegas Carts kits are top quality and I've used lots of their parts. Good people too. I wasn't as fond of the 440/460 as some, but it worked well. They obviously have moved on to the better 625 engine.

I would like to try one of Vegas Carts 625 engines for comparisons. Usually large displacement single cylinder engines have tons of low rpm torque. It's been reported that some carts will do wheelies with that engine? I'd like to see it in person though lol.

Like Shepard said, really depends on your budget and mechanical ability.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well as far as budget goes it looks like if I go with a kit it's around $2500. I know it won't be cheap. Vegas does not have a single cynder kit for a lifted g16. They are have a kit minus the engine for a HF Vtwin. I would love to keep the stock starter/generator.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

An option not mention is a Yamaha engine....talk to Don at Plowman's.

>>>> https://www.plowmanscarts.com/

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have bought from plowmans before. Always satisfied. Anybody have info on the 402 motor? It says 3 levels of performance but no details....
Old 06-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by breugel View Post
Well as far as budget goes it looks like if I go with a kit it's around $2500. I know it won't be cheap. Vegas does not have a single cynder kit for a lifted g16. They are have a kit minus the engine for a HF Vtwin. I would love to keep the stock starter/generator.
The original yamaha VC 460 kit was for the G16. I have never heard that you can't use a 460 kit on a lifted G16. They don't have any 460 engines right now but any of the other wedge head clones will work with minor mods and that would work with the stock S/G. Putting a modded clone with the VC kit you should be in the $1300 range depending on what engine mods you do. Just using a governed clone a couple hundred less. I just looked at exact #'s. The VC G16 kit $760. A Duromax 440 cc recoil start engine $330. Both include shipping for a total of $1090. There is what a governed clone swap cost is with even the 10 bolt block.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The original yamaha VC 460 kit was for the G16. I have never heard that you can't use a 460 kit on a lifted G16. They don't have any 460 engines right now but any of the other wedge head clones will work with minor mods and that would work with the stock S/G. Putting a modded clone with the VC kit you should be in the $1300 range depending on what engine mods you do. Just using a governed clone a couple hundred less. I just looked at exact #'s. The VC G16 kit $760. A Duromax 440 cc recoil start engine $330. Both include shipping for a total of $1090. There is what a governed clone swap cost is with even the 10 bolt block.
VC says the don't recomind that for a lifted G16 for some reason.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

They say they don't guarantee fitment with a lift kit. Nor do they guarantee fitment with any other clone other than the VC 460. Too many variables with either. BUT we mostly are talking about some areas like air cleaners,cables of one sort or another, and most certainly whatever muffler gets put on the header and a lift beyond 4"s or so some sort of shimming tom get the engine level. If you are mechanical at all these are small issues. If you are not mechanical at all probably any engine swap is going to require some help. P.S. Look at the VC installation guide for the yamaha G16 VC 460. You can see how very simple the clone swap is for this cart.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
An option not mention is a Yamaha engine....talk to Don at Plowman's.

>>>> https://www.plowmanscarts.com/
Good suggestion. I've heard a Plowman's prepped factory engine is surprisingly powerful. Not Vtwin power, but a vast improvement over stock, especially a worn out stock engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!