lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Dantra
Not Yet Wild

Default Comet Duster Clutch Adjustment Advice

I picked up a older Yamaha cart with a V twin Predator conversion and I'm need some advice on how to adjust the clutch setup. The previous owner wasn't technical and always had it serviced by someone else...now I'm in the detective stages of figuring it all out.

The gas pedal is set up on a relay with a deadmans switch..let fully off the pedal and it dies.Then an extra floor mounted starter button to take back off. Reason is because the clutch pulls while idling and if your in neutral while running and switch into forward or reverse, it barks the tires.

This is my first modded cart so I'm trying to understand the whole setup and adjustment. Previous owner did say that a looser belt helped at idle but would spool up fast and bark tires when it would engage. Just seems like there should be some adjust so that it will sit and idle without pulling and then take off normal.

Please excuse my newbiness

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Comet Duster Clutch Adjustment Advice

Which clutch? 94c Duster or Comet 780? Sounds like the 94c. You may want to try turning the idle down a bit. Also sounds like there could be too much throttle while it's starting back up. Could be a simple adjustment on the throttle cable.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Dantra
Not Yet Wild

I believe it is the 94C.. Idle is actually pretty far down now.

the governor has also been removed.. That normal for a buggy?
Old 06-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What rpm are you idling at? If you are idling any higher than 1400 rpm it will be tough to get into and out of gear, forward or reverse. The transaxles were never designed to shift into gear while the engine is running. Golf carts always stop running when you let off the pedal and start when you push down. That's they way they are from the factory, so it sounds like that was retained on this one?

You can tune a 94c to engage pretty much anywhere you want, but a 4 stroke engine should engage at 1800 rpm. The 94c has been known to be a pretty tight clutch that doesn't like to idle. I know people have gotten them to work ok, but I found the clutch tough to get right. I switched to a 780 and it was a world of difference.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
Dantra
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
What rpm are you idling at? If you are idling any higher than 1400 rpm it will be tough to get into and out of gear, forward or reverse. The transaxles were never designed to shift into gear while the engine is running. Golf carts always stop running when you let off the pedal and start when you push down. That's they way they are from the factory, so it sounds like that was retained on this one?

You can tune a 94c to engage pretty much anywhere you want, but a 4 stroke engine should engage at 1800 rpm. The 94c has been known to be a pretty tight clutch that doesn't like to idle. I know people have gotten them to work ok, but I found the clutch tough to get right. I switched to a 780 and it was a world of difference.
I'll need to try to find some tuning info but it sounds like I might save some headaches by going to a 780.

This thing has a constant pull when in gear.. There is no sitting at idle, no matter how low it is.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Is your belt too tight ? Too wide for the clutch ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 AM   #7
Dantra
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the clutch off to inspect and it looked like one of the pucks was not positioned incorrectly.. tinkered with it and put it back on with a different belt and now everything seems normal. Much more enjoyable! Not sure if it was the puck or the belt. Previous owner said it had never been right and he had tried the belt before (he supplied it) so I'm leaning towards the idea that one puck was turned up.

Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

A puck that's upside down will cause that clutch to not operate correctly. That's one of the problems with those clutches, people take them apart and don't put them back together properly. Those pucks can easily be put in backwards.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps