lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Colwllce
Not Yet Wild

Default Poor idle , black plug

Hi. I have put a 420 in a g9 with the pancake style air filter and relocated the factory exhaust to fit. I’m having a problem getting a low enough idle and it burns rich (black plug after 1 min running). I have put in a bigger jet and i think that is the problem with the plug but at idle it shouldn’t be affected by that jet? Also I have a lift kit in it and the air filter is right against it. No room. Belt isn't even lined up correctly so it makes a weird squeal but thats another problem. So the 2 questions are how to get a lower idle with the correct mixture so it can shift and what can i do to get more clearance for the air filter. Relocate somehow? Oh I forgot to mention I’m using the carb I bought with the idle air/fuel mixture screw but i can turn it all the way in or out and it isn’t changing anything.
Colwllce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Poor idle , black plug

If you don't do something with the main jet the idle jet does very little. Very odd that a stock clone is rich.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
scottykify
Not Yet Wild

Maybe your throttle linkage is holding the carb open too far and its not hitting your idle screw? That could make the carb pull fuel from the main jet.

And running a restricted air filter will act like the choke is on making it run richer, and stock restrictive exhaust will also make the engine run richer.

Get the idle speed figured out first, then revisit the jetting, might need to mess with that. Pictures would certainly help
scottykify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Stevop25
Gone Wild

I just ran into a similar issue with a charcoal black plug and air/fuel mixture screw was all the way in like it had no effect. Ended up being too much tension on the throttle cable holding my butterfly open. I would check there first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Could your carb be flooding at idle because of the fuel pump? Do you have a return line in your fuel system?

I have a G2 and I run a car air filter box mounted behind my battery and in front of the left rear tire. I run flexible hose to the top mount of the stock air filter box with the stud cut off.

I've since moved the airbox to it's current home since this picture but you can see my mock-up here:

Yamahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Does that carb have an idle air jet? It could be plugged causing no air to enter the jet, which would make it run rich.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colwllce View Post
Hi. I have put a 420 in a g9 with the pancake style air filter and relocated the factory exhaust to fit. I’m having a problem getting a low enough idle and it burns rich (black plug after 1 min running). I have put in a bigger jet and i think that is the problem with the plug but at idle it shouldn’t be affected by that jet? Also I have a lift kit in it and the air filter is right against it. No room. Belt isn't even lined up correctly so it makes a weird squeal but thats another problem. So the 2 questions are how to get a lower idle with the correct mixture so it can shift and what can i do to get more clearance for the air filter. Relocate somehow? Oh I forgot to mention I’m using the carb I bought with the idle air/fuel mixture screw but i can turn it all the way in or out and it isn’t changing anything.
Question one - are you using a starter generator? If not -- you could run a bit longer belt and that would help with the air filter problem by moving the engine forward and opening the gap between the engine and shock absorber.
Question two - are you sure the choke is opening all the way? Question 3 - Do you have a throttle return spring?
Question 4 - do you use a pedal start? If you do everything needs adjusted correctly - under the right conditions the engine won't get hot enough to clean the plug off and you'll have a carbon fouled plug.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Colwllce
Not Yet Wild

Well let’s see if I can answer all these questions. As for the belt I am not using the generator and I’m thinking longer belt also but from the looks of it it won’t be enough. Today I went out and tried to lower idle and I would start it at a higher idle. I would back the screw off and it would get to a point where it would abruptly cut off. Leads me to believe the idle air jet is clogged. Kinda worried about taking that off because of ripping those little o-rings. Went thru that last year and I happened to have just one...
Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With an idle air jet, all you need is a tiny wire or torch tip cleaner. I usually just find the smallest one I have and insert it into the jet. Most times it just has a tiny bit of varnish buildup. Once you verify that the jet is clear, use some carb spray with the straw. A lot of times you don't even have to take off the carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inked g2 carb.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
Colwllce
Not Yet Wild

I broke down and took the jet out and cleaned just as you say, with the tip cleaner as i couldn't blow through it. I put back on and no change though. Im giong back up to the cart on weds or Thurs and gonna take off the fuel pump and gravity feed the carb to see if its fuel starved at a lower idle although i don't think this will be the problem since it cuts out so abruptly. Im also gonna bring up my compressor and carb cleaner and do a more thorough clean on the carb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps