lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: More VC625 carb voodoo/experimentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart View Post
Return lines.....here's the hands-down easiest and cleanest way to add a return line. A Wix 33040, or a Napa 3040 filter. 5/16" in and out, 1/4" return. Get a fitting for a plastic lawnmower tank with a rubber grommet that presses into a drilled hole in the tank, and you're done.

Jim
This is good stuff right there! Why didn't I think of that?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IMHO I would install the adjustable main jet before doing too much drilling of the other pieces. You would be surprised how it's adjustment affects the whole rpm scale just off idle.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Return lines.....here's the hands-down easiest and cleanest way to add a return line. A Wix 33040, or a Napa 3040 filter. 5/16" in and out, 1/4" return. Get a fitting for a plastic lawnmower tank with a rubber grommet that presses into a drilled hole in the tank, and you're done.

Jim
That is a great idea !
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Shepard's post above got me thinking....I checked a stock secondary emulsion tube; the fuel metering holes (the ones at the bottom...there's four) are over .65 mm, but not quite .7 mm. So, I opened one up to .8. I'll put that in and see what that does. It still needs some more fuel at off-idle and low throttle openings, but I'm hesitant to open the pilot up any more just yet because of the dramatically improved idle quality. Stay tuned....

Jim
That is really neat that you have the 5/16" feed lines with the 1/4" return line . NICE, OOPS Copied one post too far down.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
This is good stuff right there! Why didn't I think of that?
Because, sir....you were one of the fortunate ones. You didn't pay your debt to society owning retail auto parts stores.....and weren't cursed with this goofy photographic memory......so you don't gotta' head filed full of useless stuff. I *think* that filter is for a late 70's/early 80's Chrysler product with a "Bent Six".....if my memory serves me correctly.

If you're not 60+....you ain't gonna' know what a "Bent Six" is. You're young and lucky.....

Jim
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Anyone make any significant changes to the air filter ?

I made a rudimentary filter mount for a K&N type push on/in
and it is running much better..also I kinked my pulse line some to cut the pressure down see how that flies until I can get to the auto parts 3040 filter bypass trick thingy
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

On my VC 625 Shepard modified carb I have the oval K&N filter. This is mounted on a modded VC 460 using the Mikuni intake manifold as an adapter. All the clones LOVE increased air flow. There a BIG power gains to be had if you can keep the mixture correct along with having your fuel system able to keep up with the increased demand. Pic of the whole set up on page 13 of my Vc 460 build.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #18
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
Anyone make any significant changes to the air filter ?

I made a rudimentary filter mount for a K&N type push on/in
and it is running much better..also I kinked my pulse line some to cut the pressure down see how that flies until I can get to the auto parts 3040 filter bypass trick thingy
The silicone elbow is 2-1/2 x 3 with an aluminum sleeve to mount the NO2 nozzle in to a 3" outlet air filter - filter is 12 x 6 gauze air filter made by Spectre
comes pre oiled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5824.JPG (238.4 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Pulled carb for the zillionth time, drilled the pilot to .4 mm (formerly .3mm), and installed the secondary emulsion tube with fuel metering holes opened to .8 mm.

Upon the first attempted start up after carb reassembly, I learned that no matter how you have one of these carbs tuned, it won't start run with hemostats pinching the fuel line off, so there's yet another valuable tuning tip for all.

It's still God-Awful cold blooded until warmed up, but it runs really well with the above setup. No surging or serious flat spots, as good an idle as you're gonna' get off a big 'thumper' (1000 rpm).....and the plug looks good.

I think I'm gonna' stop here, decide whether I'm gonna' put in hi-speed gears, and maybe try a little further tuning with the adjustable main.

Jim
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I would imagine there is a lot more to be gained by adding an adjustable main jet and really dialing it in for max power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!