lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Attic air compressor

Ok so here we go. I got a really good deal on a 30 gallon compressor. Guy said it worked but it had some issues like it wouldnt stop running but it did hold air. I started working on it and realized it wouldnt build any pressure past 80psi. Hoping it was just reeds I popped the cylinder head off and found the piston ring is damaged. Looking around online it seems the only parts unavailable for this particular compressor are the pump components.... Go figure right... So now I'm left with just a tank but it's in good shape.

I'm thinking about mounting just the tank in the attic to save space then plumbing a drain line, input line and output line down into the corner of my garage. In this corner I want to mount a twin cylinder pump and 3hp motor. Keeping the pump and motor out of the attic should help keep them cooler and also keep the noise from traveling through out my house.

Other than a pressure switch, gauge, fittings and a decent size contactor I dont think I need much else. Any insight on this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Attic air compressor

Yep should work fine. If you buy a good pressure switch they will handle a 3hp motor fine and you won't need a contactor. One plus with a divorced receiver tank is that that the motor/pump cannot use the tank as an sound amplifier. What do you have in mind for a pump? A 30 gallon tank is not very big for a true 10cfm@175 psi compressor, but you can always add more tanks as you find them. You are aiming for longest run time/least starts for recovery. My 5 hp 18 cfm Quincy I assembled from parts, cuts in at 135 and shuts down at 180 psi on an 80 gallon tank so it gets warm enough to evaporate any moisture in the head/valves, or I switch it to run/unload continuously if blasting ect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 075.JPG (478.4 KB, 0 views)
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Sounds like a worthwhile project, Jkerle.
I overhauled a good-sized Quincy ( some new seals & gaskets mostly) many years ago - it was a very well built unit!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

What are you using for air line ? to make connection from compressor to tank ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Little update, thanks for info guys!

I was talking to a good friend last night he owns a few dealerships and said he has a working conpressor motor and tank I can have. I'm going to go check it out later today. Hopefully I can get it fired up!

Worst case he said the compressor is new but the motor might be bad from sitting in the weather.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
What are you using for air line ? to make connection from compressor to tank ?
Not sure yet my plan orginally was to use 3/4 in black pipe but I might try and hide everything in the wall if I do that I'll need somthing flexible. I'll be looking for poly tubing and push to connect fittings.

I've used pex pipe and shark bite fittings to add a water line for my beer fridge and that stuff was super easy to use. It looks like it has a burst pressure of 800psi so that should be more than enough for this application. The only tricky part might be converting from pex to a QD for air hose but I should be able to find everything to do that.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Yep should work fine. If you buy a good pressure switch they will handle a 3hp motor fine and you won't need a contactor. One plus with a divorced receiver tank is that that the motor/pump cannot use the tank as an sound amplifier. What do you have in mind for a pump? A 30 gallon tank is not very big for a true 10cfm@175 psi compressor, but you can always add more tanks as you find them.[emoji106] You are aiming for longest run time/least starts for recovery. My 5 hp 18 cfm Quincy I assembled from parts, cuts in at 135 and shuts down at 180 psi on an 80 gallon tank so it gets warm enough to evaporate any moisture in the head/valves, or I switch it to run/unload continuously if blasting ect.
Nice setup!! Hopefully my junk yard pull today will yield some usable parts. All this covoid nonsense has left me with plenty of time but little extra cash. This will be a time consuming and creative project. I'll spend some money on a good infrastructure but as far as compressor parts and pieces for now its going to be what I can find. I can always upgrade later. I should end up with 90gallons of capacity after adding this additional tank.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Just wondering why you want to put the thank in your attic ? Save the money and mount it close to your compressor. You will remember to drain the tank that way.
What will you be doing with air ? Air tools maybe or painting
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Just wondering why you want to put the thank in your attic ? Save the money and mount it close to your compressor. You will remember to drain the tank that way.

What will you be doing with air ? Air tools maybe or painting
I need to save space my garage is full as it is and I'd rather not add another thing to the floor space that will need to be moved around. I'm going to run the drain line right next to the output so it should be easy to remember to open it periodically. I dont have any air tools so really filling tires and the occasional blow up float for the kid. I am planning on getting a plasma cutter so that will probably be the main use for the compressor.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop