lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Default Re: High amp draw and battery drain, help!

With the new motor and control settings the ARM CURRENT is between 140-145. The lower figures were with the stock motor and "default" control settings.

I didn't notice a voltage drop until the M1 FWD FIELD MIN was set to 7.0 or below. (Maybe the bad battery the shop found is contributing to the voltage drop?) The ARM CURRENT has stayed constant in the 140-145 range during the M1 FWD FIELD MIN adjustments. This parameter was set at 8.0 when I first accessed the controller, we then adjusted to 7.0 and then 6.5.

ARM PWM during the last few test runs has been stable at 100 and FIELD PWN between 12-13.

The highest value M1 FWD FIELD MIN has been was 8.0 and FIELD MAP START was 80. If I recall correctly these were the values the controller had set when I first accessed it. I will try to raise the FIELD when I get my cart back today and also play with lowering the FIELD MAP START.

I understand the thought here and hopefully will see some improvement. Would it help if I posted my entire configuration?
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I increased M1 FWD FIELD MIN in increments of .5 up to 10.0. I didn't see any noticeable decrease in ARM CURRENT.

I also decreased FIELD MAP START from 150 -> 110 -> 80 and also didn't see any real change in ARM CURRENT.

I did notice that all of my battery cables, 2AWG, are warm to the touch.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you have a known bad battery you need to start there. What is the pack voltage when the cart is moving? Low voltage will mean the motor pulls higher amps to try to maintain speed.
What is the individual voltage of each battery while the cart is moving? What about during acceleration from a stop?
One dead battery is a major bottle neck when you need power to make a motor turn, and it will always result in hot cables due to the increased amp load trying to overcome low voltage.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I appreciate the input. The bad battery was replaced but the high amp draw remains.

Full throttle the battery voltage has been 45 amps. I haven’t checked each battery under a load. Waiting on my alligator clips to arrive so I can look into this. When they arrive I’ll check each battery at full throttle and during an initial acceleration. The shop did however do a load test on each battery and only found the one battery that wasn’t up to par.

Should I expect to see 48v under a load with full throttle or is the 45v a normal value with a freshly charged pack?
Old 04-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I just reached the Fault History with the handheld and have two events.

1. Low Battery Voltage - 2,1
2. Main Driver On - 2,4

I’ve read the manual but not sure how to interpret and proceed. I will reset the history and check again after my drive today.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I gathered these numbers after a 5 mile ride. The cart had sat for about 2 hours and showed a pack voltage of 51v before i started collecting individual voltage numbers.

Batt - Idle - Full Stop Accel - Full Pedal
1 - 6.29, 5.39, 5.73
2 - 6.26, 5.26, 5.58
3 - 6.28, 5.28, 5.73
4 - 6.28, 5.33, 5.62
5 - 6.27, 5.23, 5.73
6 - 6.29, 5.31, 5.64
7 - 6.29, 5.29, 5.71
8 - 6.28, 5.24, 5.65

My bar meter is showing one bar from half but my pack voltage is at 50.4 which would equate to just under 90% SOC. I know that the bar meters are not reliable but are they usually this far off?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is your current max RPM setting?

Have You tried lowering the max RPM so the cart cruises at a lower speed in case the motor is just not efficient at your current rpm?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #18
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I am unsure of how to do that. Is that adjusted via MAIN C/L?

I ASSume that the motor is capable of handling the RPM as Chuck from EMP designed it specifically based on my equipment and my desired benchmarks.

Both my stock and the EMP motor were exhibiting similar behavior with high amp draw. In the end I might be ok with it. My biggest issue was depleting my batteries and not getting sufficient range for our daily needs. However, after comparing the bar meter to the pack voltage via a multimeter it appears that the bar meter is so far off it in no way even comes close to depicting the actual SOC.

Last crosscheck showed the bar meter one bar above half and pack voltage measured 50.4v which is closer to 85% SOC. I just ordered a meter from ScottyB. I was interested in a full monitoring suite but can spend the change right now.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That would be the M1 parameter in conjunction with the "Rpm to Speed" conversion factor and "Tacho poles".

It just looks like with the Armature at 100% and the Field not having much affect that the Controller may be chasing a higher speed that is just not attainable with your current condition: batteries, tires, terrain, final drive ratio, etc.

Lowering the maximum speed should allow the Controller to regulate the speed which would likely use less current overall.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I've set the RPM TO SPEED to 141 based on the formula in the Curtis manual. It has the handheld speed within 1MPH of my GPS speed. Tacho poles are set at 8 based on feedback from EMP.

Which M1 parameter are you referring to? The M1 FWD FIELD MIN?

Chuck at EMP was assisting with config and maps but I haven't heard back from him in over a week.

Tags
amp, drag, motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay