lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
budge72
Not Yet Wild

Default How to wire a winch with a hybrid gas/electric cart?

I have a 2017 Bad Boy Buggy (Textron) Ambush IS. It's a hybrid, utilizing a 48V electric motor to drive the front axle, and a 28 hp Subaru Robins gas engine to drive the rear axle. It can be operated in 2WD gas or electric modes, and 4WD hybrid mode (both motors).

I want to add a winch to the front end. The easiest solution would be to wire the winch to the starter battery for the gas engine, just like a car. This battery will then be recharged by the alternator. But the user manual clearly states that all accessories should be powered by a 48V to 12V voltage reducer using all six 8V batteries. That would be fine, except that these voltage reducers seem to max out at 30amps (way too little for a winch).

I could add another 12V battery to the cart, and power the winch and any other accessories from there. But then I would have to recharge that battery manually.

Any suggestions?
budge72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to wire a winch with a hybrid gas/electric cart?

I doubt they had a winch in mind when they said “accessories”. A winch is a pretty good draw on any battery. I don’t know what type of battery is used for the starter motor but I doubt it would want to run a winch for more than a few seconds.
But if I was going to add a dedicated battery for the winch... I’d wire it parallel to the starter battery and let them work/recharge together.

Just curious... is it possible to let the front drive “push start” the rear drive if the starter battery is too weak?
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 AM   #3
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Duplicate
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are 48 volt winches out there. I am looking into this now, but not having any luck finding any. I'll let you know if/when I find some.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a separate 12V marine deep cycle batter my my electronics and wench. I only need to charge it once a week at most. It's not a hassle.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO