lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Cloth electrical tape

I have the split looms on some areas but some areas would be better protected by being taped together. I had been using black electrical tape that just doesn't last.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
This stuff is pretty awesome, I've used it a lot. be warned it's pricey... https://www.wurthusa.com/Shop-Suppli...-Ft/p/19850771

However, having said that, I HATE working on wire harnesses that are taped. The nasty gooey black mess you get all over your hands is a major PITA not only because of the mess, but also because you often have to clean the wires to determine what color they are. Wires are sealed by nature, so the only points you really have to worry about corrosion are splices and connection points.

In the automotive world, a ring of tape every 6-8" is perfectly sufficient and then protect the harness with split loom. This makes servicing it a lot easier several years down the road. Especially down in the south where heat and humidity break the adhesive in the tape down into that nasty gooey mess.
Cold shrink tape is part of the 3m cold shrink system. If you like the tape and got over the sticker shock give the cold shrink tubes a shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I didn't think about cloth electrical tape for wiring harnesses until Ant used it on Wheeler Dealers Ford Bronco project. I can see my carts wiring looking slightly better.
It's actually called "friction tape" its made to wrap wire harnesses together, cover vinyl tape connections and use to prevent abrasion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Also known as harness tape which is what I am going to use it for.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #15
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I use those split looms a lot. I use zip ties every 6 inches or so to keep it in place and together. The zips stay there forever unlike the vinyl tape.

The cloth electrical works great. The only issue I have with it is that it almost works too good. Removing it can be tough especially after it ages. I have had to remove it from old restorations I have done and the cloth stuff gets very rigid over time. It normally takes a razor blade to get it off which put the underlying wires at risk. It's great in that it's still doing what it was supposed to do. It's a bear should it have to come off, though.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

And what can happen if you implement none of the great ideas here -
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark138 View Post
And what can happen if you implement none of the great ideas here -
That looks to me like it's just poor wire management. It appears there used to be 1 maybe 2 layers of loom plus tape. Not sure where that is on that cart but I think it would have been wise to run those wires on the top of that brace!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

That’s exactly where they are now. Previous owner tied them neatly under the frame, so after the repair I cut the zip ties and rolled up top, and tied again.
It’s the driver side of a stock G2 .
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Tape came today. Try and use tomorrow
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I went out this a.m.and used the cloth tape. I was able to make bundles of loose wires into nice neat looking harnesses. There were some areas where with split looms or cables ties just weren't the answer. As someone here has noted this tapes is tough enough that scissors are needed to cut it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop