lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #501
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: clone exhaust

Funny thing happened last night. I removed the VC 1.25" header from my 625 and installed a custom 1.50" header from a VC flange and steel u-bend pipe. Mated it to the 22229 that was already in use with 1.5" ss flex and a steel tube 1.5" 90. No other changes but the cart was noticeably quieter.

Can't explain the difference except for a guess. A little freer flow from the head to the muffler softened the pulses going into the muffler that can handle it better now? My wife commented it was quieter before I told her my opinion.

I remember back in the late 70's when I had a true dual exhaust installed on a 6.6 Trans Am. I insisted on 2.25" tubes and mufflers when everyone was still using 2". The 2" duals always made a badadada sound and my 2.25" pipes were a much smoother sound. Could be the same result here. No other clue as to why it would be quieter.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #502
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Larger diameter, less velocity and lower sound level ? Maybe another key finding in sound reduction. It is funny when Mr Chevy and I were doing our muffler experiments we used 1.5 " flex tubing over my VC header pipe to the various muffler were we testing. Even with a decent length of flex pipe we did not see what what you have found. At the idle many things sounded better but with the engine revved up none passed our sound test. Again that was with my VC 460 maybe the VC 625 is a different animal.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #503
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Didn't take long break an old weld on my exhaust. Muffler is firmly attached to the engine and engine mounting plate. I went for ride yesterday for a couple hours and 3/4 of the way through the ride I noticed my exhaust got loud. I'm guessing heat flexed the pipe slightly and broke the weld?

Either way, I have a new exhaust flange with stub pipe on order as well as a 1.5" x4" flex pipe.

Yamahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #504
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahama View Post
Didn't take long break an old weld on my exhaust. Muffler is firmly attached to the engine and engine mounting plate. I went for ride yesterday for a couple hours and 3/4 of the way through the ride I noticed my exhaust got loud. I'm guessing heat flexed the pipe slightly and broke the weld?

Either way, I have a new exhaust flange with stub pipe on order as well as a 1.5" x4" flex pipe.

Looks like you used a pipe fitting at the engines head, there made from cast iron. Not very strong to start with weaker when hot.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #505
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Looks like you used a pipe fitting at the engines head, there made from cast iron. Not very strong to start with weaker when hot.
Actually it us a flange and stub pipe fron nr racing. It's been broken a couple of times and poorly rewarded. Flange is warped too and doesn't seal well.
Yamahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #506
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Broke both of the large SS hose clamps holding my muffler to the engine cradle again. I need to come up with something better.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #507
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahama View Post
Actually it us a flange and stub pipe fron nr racing. It's been broken a couple of times and poorly rewarded. Flange is warped too and doesn't seal well.

I had a similar issue I worked through. Ended up ordering a manderal bent 1.25 pipe and cut to fit. Works like a champ even with my rusty welding skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #508
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

This a.m. I upgraded my muffler mounting system. Since 2014 I had been running large marine SS hose clamps around the muffler and engine cradle. Always a some period of time the corner of the engine cradle would tear the clamps. I just considered them an expendable item and replace them. So today I welded a tang to the cradle panhard mount and used a Tbolt clamp around it and the muffler. Hopefully this will be a more permanent solution.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #509
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bump
Old 10-01-2020, 04:11 AM   #510
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My John Deere 212 garden tractor muffler is still purring quietly on the 8 HP Honda engine. I can easily chit chat with my little grandkids while 'hunting wabbits' around our property. I've had a 13 HP clone in the cart too which was a tad louder but still very acceptable. JD wants way too much for a new muffler like mine so I don't recommend them unless you have a good used one.

army is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g14 clone exhaust
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps