lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
lsujay
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Zone Battery Question

I've recently bought a golf cart that was not charged up at all when I bought it, but I've added water and reconditioned the batteries to take a charge. 6 volt batteries showing between 6.16 & 6.25 volts. The charger is only putting out about 2 volts currently and has been plugged in all night and it seems to be gasing a lot. Should I just leave it plugged and let it try to get a full charge or do you think the batteries are done? 4 year old batteries.

The charger on this cart is a Delta-q and the charging light goes to a blinking amber when the voltage drops to 2 volts. I read that it drops because of excess heat or diminished voltage from the source.
lsujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
lsujay
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2010 Zone Battery Question

I put a fan on the batteries and pointed towards the charger and the light has changed to a fast flashing green, which is supposed to mean that it is now 80% charged. It seems I just needed to be a little more patient and added a bit more air flow to keep the temperature down.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Keep charging and check individual battery voltages. If one or more batteries are more than .2 volts different try charging them seperatly to ballance the pack. Use a 12 volt charger to charge pairs of low reading batteries.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
lsujay
Not Yet Wild

I had one battery with a deab cell. I replaced that one battery and now I'm solid green with a fully charged cart. It seems the extra heat generated was the charger trying to get the bad battery to take a charge it would never take. It tested at 6.16 v while all others were around 6.5v. After trying the cart for a spin around the neighborhood the bad battery tested at around 4 volts while all other batteries were testing at 6.25v.

I know the general thought is to change all 8, but I'm going to take this approach and see how it goes. The one battery with the bad cell ended up being the battery that takes the most abuse from the auxillary items (lights, radio etc).

A great deal on this cart if this approach works out and a $100 cost if it doesn't, so I think its a fair gamble.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Be aware these carts have a history of problems
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
lsujay
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the heads up on the fire issue. I did find one article on a fire and a suit that followed, but not mch else. Is there anything in particular that you've heard is a culprit other than the Zone cart? Charger or battery issues etc...

My cart has worked flawlessly since I've replaced the one bad battery. Tonight I rode around for more than 20 minutes and the battery meter did not move at all. Lights and radio on, along with driving 15 plus mph most of the time. ( I was able to gps a max speed of 22 mph).

I am very happy with the purchase after questioning myself before pulling the trigger.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
intrepidz
Not Yet Wild

The YouTube video is of my house. I lost everything in my home on that summer day 8/13/2012. If you have a zone cart in your garage, get it out of there. Only park it where it would not catch anything you care about catching on fire. It doesn't even need to be plugged in to blow a battery. I read on another forum about a guy backing down a driveway and blowing a hole on the top of a battery.
There have been many fires, but you are not going to find them due to settlement agreements. These owners cannot talk about them. I have not settled with them. I’m only asking for what my insurance didn't pay for and they are fighting to not pay anything. They know there is a problem and are not contacting anyone to warn them of the dangers. I’m warning you right now!

I’m a shift worker and came home at 6:00 am, hit the shower and tried to go to bed. It was summer and my wife and two kids were home sleeping. Lucky for me the batteries made a lot of noise when they were exploding. I went to see what the noise was and found the two carts on fire in my garage. Had the fire started a little later I would have been asleep. Had it started in the middle of the night, who would have been there to wake my family up? I could have lost all of them. I just don’t know what else to say.
Please don’t risk your family’s lives with one of these ZONEs parked in your garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAVOP2hBmzc

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8771276

http://www.click2houston.com/news/pa...-fire/21025000
intrepidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
bgw70
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsujay View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the fire issue. I did find one article on a fire and a suit that followed, but not mch else. Is there anything in particular that you've heard is a culprit other than the Zone cart? Charger or battery issues etc...

My cart has worked flawlessly since I've replaced the one bad battery. Tonight I rode around for more than 20 minutes and the battery meter did not move at all. Lights and radio on, along with driving 15 plus mph most of the time. ( I was able to gps a max speed of 22 mph).

I am very happy with the purchase after questioning myself before pulling the trigger.
with a full set of new batteries, you should see a top speed of 25-26mph. Also, if you are a maintenance DIY person, be sure to change the differential fluid. it needs to be done periodically.
Also, when batteries get older, they use more water, always keep a few gallons of distilled water at the house. it is IMPORTANT that you actually look at the cells to check the water level. Even IF you have a watering system.
bgw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
collijo1
Not Yet Wild
Star

Hey we can't figure out how to get the darn batteries out of the Zone Spark to replace them. DRIVE ELECTRIC is no help. Does anyone know how?
collijo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay