lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Old EZ - GO WONT MOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-Knee View Post
Not sure if I did this right or not..

First I energized the solinoid.

I grounded my black probe on my meter to the solinoid small termial blk side and then probed all 3 terminals on the controller.. From left to right the 3 big terminals.. The first one I got 37.3 , Second one in the middle I got 0.0 the 3rd one being the furthest to the right I got 37.3...

Did I do this right?

Thanks,
Ant...
The black wire on the small solenoid terminals is B- so I think you did it right because you got 37.3 volts on both big terminals but the red wire on the small solenoid should have Battery + on it too if the solenoid is energized because the pre charge resistor is missing.

DOUBLE CHECK THIS READING. If there is NO voltage on the red wire to the solenoid and you got everything set to go and you got voltage on both big lugs with no resistor the solenoid contacts may be welded. STOP!

You need to be careful with this next step and secure the cart from moving should it suddenly go back to working. With the solenoid energized press the accelerator pedal cautiously and observe the voltage on both big solenoid lugs to be sure you have good solid voltage across the solenoid to the controller. If that is good follow JohnnieB's instructions. Also your batteries are low but they should be ok to troubleshoot
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just 'cause a solenoid clicks doesn't mean it works........
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Just because it doesn't click when the pedal is pressed don't mean it is bad either............
I would have loved to have had you guys in the troubleshooting classes I taught many years ago.

We "bugged" equipment that the students not only had to find the bad component, they had to explain the process they used to arrive at the defective component and then prove why it was bad using Ohm's Laws, Kirchoff's Laws and the other laws of physics.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #23
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The black wire on the small solenoid terminals is B- so I think you did it right because you got 37.3 volts on both big terminals but the red wire on the small solenoid should have Battery + on it too if the solenoid is energized because the pre charge resistor is missing.

DOUBLE CHECK THIS READING. If there is NO voltage on the red wire to the solenoid and you got everything set to go and you got voltage on both big lugs with no resistor the solenoid contacts may be welded. STOP!

You need to be careful with this next step and secure the cart from moving should it suddenly go back to working. With the solenoid energized press the accelerator pedal cautiously and observe the voltage on both big solenoid lugs to be sure you have good solid voltage across the solenoid to the controller. If that is good follow JohnnieB's instructions. Also your batteries are low but they should be ok to troubleshoot

Ok Tried, This .. Cart still will not move..

heres what I did...Jumped wires, turned on cart, Solinoid clicked, Pressed pedal slowly.. No Go...

I checked volts on big legs of solinoid..
Got 37.3 on both big legs on solinoid.. this is with blk meter probe on small blk leg, then red probe to big lugs on solinoid... got 37.3 on both.. But when I checked the small red leg I got 37.0

Ant..
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You did good but Double check this. Disconnect your pedal switch jumper. With no voltage on the red solenoid wire terminal make sure you do not have B+ on both big solenoid terminals. I am trying to make sure you don't have welded solenoid contacts. Since the resistor is not installed you should have voltage on one big terminal only which goes straight to the battery + terminal. You mentioned in an earlier post you did not have voltage on the red wire but voltage on both big terminals....If this checks out one terminal only has voltage refer to JohnnieB's post #17 and follow his suggestions/instructions.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I would have loved to have had you guys in the troubleshooting classes I taught many years ago.

We "bugged" equipment that the students not only had to find the bad component, they had to explain the process they used to arrive at the defective component and then prove why it was bad using Ohm's Laws, Kirchoff's Laws and the other laws of physics.
I'm not sure you would have appreciated me as a student back in the day. I was known to repair test equipment by directly shorting the 120 volt inputs. When plugged in, they would take out the whole High School wing, and using fuses rather than circuit breaker, power was out while a custodian looked for the proper sized fuse. I was a bit of a bad boy in High School.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm not sure you would have appreciated me as a student back in the day. I was known to repair test equipment by directly shorting the 120 volt inputs. When plugged in, they would take out the whole High School wing, and using fuses rather than circuit breaker, power was out while a custodian looked for the proper sized fuse. I was a bit of a bad boy in High School.
When I was teaching, classroom discipline was enforced.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #27
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Our Electronic class at tech school (1962) had access to a tesla coil some of the students built we used to play with. Our favorite was to hold a sheet of paper between the ark and the hand and stink up the class room (odor had to be burning flesh, paper and ozone combo). I remember one day when our instructor came into the class room paused, sniffed and remarked "It smells like lightning struck the outhouse." We all broke out laughing. Our instructor was pretty tolerant of our antics but we all respected him.
Sometimes during lunch break we would move a wire or two in a project someone was building and watch him figure out what was wrong.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
When I was teaching, classroom discipline was enforced.
I was a "victim" of social promotion, and no one could prove who did the handy work. Our VTVMs and signal generators were already dead, so no one "knew" who did their evil deeds on each piece of equipment.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #29
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW no piece of equipment was harmed in my antics. Just a blown fuse or two. The equipment didn't even know it was plugged in.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #30
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You did good but Double check this. Disconnect your pedal switch jumper. With no voltage on the red solenoid wire terminal make sure you do not have B+ on both big solenoid terminals. I am trying to make sure you don't have welded solenoid contacts. Since the resistor is not installed you should have voltage on one big terminal only which goes straight to the battery + terminal. You mentioned in an earlier post you did not have voltage on the red wire but voltage on both big terminals....If this checks out one terminal only has voltage refer to JohnnieB's post #17 and follow his suggestions/instructions.

Pedal switch is in cart now,

Have no power on red wire unless pedal is pressed.. Once pedal is pressed I get voltage to the red small leg on solinoid.. Solinoid just clicks but cart still won't move..

How do I test the motor?

How can I test the controller?

Ant...
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO