lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
TRP
Gone Wild

Default How hot is too hot?

Hey Gang,

How hot should an 88 gas club car run? I'm asking because I've taken my club car out a few times in the past week or so and after putting it back in the garage and opening the seat up - it seems like it's running really warm. I recently added; a 80" top, a rear flip flop seat, and a sporting clays basket. I have 22" tires on 10" rims. I live in a very hilly area. In fact, it's all hills up and around my house.

I haven't put a laser on the head yet to get the temp, but I'm worried that it may be running too hot. How hot is too hot?

Any way to help the motor run cooler? I would spend the extra money on an external oil cooler and fan if there was a way to attach it to this motor.

Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: How hot is too hot?

I think you may be overly worried. It's an air-cooled motor, so there aren't really any upgrades other than maybe rigging up a fan, but then that's a tax on your charging system, which isn't really designed for anything extra except some running lights.

And since most oil coolers operate based on oil being pumped through them, they're not compatible with our KF82 motors with splash lube.

I would think of it this way, when you drive your car, do you pop the hood every time you come home after a drive? Probably not. But if you did, it would likely be warm in the engine compartment.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
TRP
Gone Wild

The only reason I ask is because the motor smelled hot. I could physically smell it. :) If my car smelled hot, the first thing I would do is look at the temperature gauge. If the cart had one, I'd have looked at it. It smelled hot - So, I opened up the motor compartment.

I'd rather error on the side of caution. If the motor blows, I'm coming to you for parts.

Thanks for the info,
Ted
Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
I could physically smell it. :)
Try mentally smelling it and see if it seems colder

TRP, with all the work you've been doing on your GC, just get on it a relax
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
TRP
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcar5 View Post
Try mentally smelling it and see if it seems colder

TRP, with all the work you've been doing on your GC, just get on it a relax
Har har!

I'm waiting to get a bracket built for the front clays basket. I also need to figure out how I'm going to secure it at the shooting club. I don't want it to 'walk away' on me.

I may sound paranoid, but I just don't want to blow the motor up. It's 25+ years old. I'm sure it's just a matter of time anyway.

I'm hoping to get the cart out to the range out to the club in a week or so. I'd take it this weekend, but the wife has us running all weekend. :(

T
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Take a air wand and try blowing in and around all shrouds and such.
It could be dusty or a wasp nesy in there?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
TRP
Gone Wild

I will run the compressor around the shroud and see if it's clogged. You guys could be right - I 'm sure it's fine, I'm just over thinking it.

Can't wait to get this out to the club.

Ted
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You do want to keep the fins and fan clean on an air cooled motor. Grime and grass can reduce the cooling and often the smell you get is hot oil. Clean is good!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
etech
Not Yet Wild

Hi Ted,

My suggestion would be to install a few gauges like I did. Then you will have the confidence of knowing what is going on. If you can afford the cart, it doesn't cost much more to install these gauges. You can buy the SunPro gauges and adapter kit off Amazon. Take a look at my thread on this.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...precedent.html

BTW, for the CHT (cylinder head temperature gauge) you need to make a small mounting bracket for the sensor out of some thin flat copper stock. I used a piece cut from some copper roof flashing. My CHT runs about 180 deg to 210 deg F when running.

Good luck.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
TRP
Gone Wild

Hey Ed!

That's what I'm looking for. Excellent. I will order up the parts and install the head temp sensor this next coming week.

Thanks!
Ted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car