lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

Default duel springs

I mentioned a issue I was having on Mr. Green,s thread. rather then hijack the thread, I thought I would spell out the issue and the fix. Updating my Vanguard, installing duel springs was one of the mods to the heads. On assembly, I kept bending a push rod. When I bought my motor, I had the good folks at CPP install it, with the cam, and the rev kit. I have never seen it torn down, neither has my local machine shop. The Rev kit has copper washers under the springs, if you did not put them there, you would think they belong. We did! They don't with the spring upgrade. Not just that, but the builder that l have got a relationship with of the Heymow site, not all those guys are real friendly to us cart folks, but he is, took down the valve guides 1/8 of a inch, and recommends to run without valve seals. He understands that this is not a race motor, but I trust his judgment. He cleaned up the porting a wee bit, and opens up the spring pockets a hair, some folks claim you don't need to with their springs, but he suggests it, so we did it. Is anyone else running without valve seals? any Issues? Thanks! I am just waiting for the mail man.
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: duel springs

For the $8/ea that they cost, I decided to put new ones in. The last thing I want to do is be killing mosquitoes in a campground. Why did you decide to go with dual springs when you already had a rev-kit? Do you have the heavy duty pushrods? How did you take the valve guides down 1/8"?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

any time you can kill a biting bug is a good thing right? The rev kit limited me to 5200 rpm. The other part of the upgrade was some mild porting and going with the long ARC rods, and having the pistons cut down to increase the compression. I want to increase TQ, and have great top end. The combo that I have now will go 7k plus, but I am flywheel limited to short bursts to a little over 6k. With my 6/1 gears, 23 tires, before at 5200 I saw 44mph. With a 6500 max rpm, even with my Florida math edumication, I see numbers exceeding my 55 mph goal. Then I still have the larger roller clutch to install if needed. All done while keeping the stump pulling power that I started with. The Negatives..... Premium gas, find ways to add airflow for cooling at low speed, and other heat saving measures, so looking at a small solar charging panel for the roof? Lots of radio on this cart. And yes Mr. Green, every now and then a blender on the bar!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Sounds like a really nice setup.
The CPP rev kit shouldn't limit you to 5200rpm. Once the rev kit is installed, the next limit is the stamped rockers and tiny pushrods. Bigger pushrods are a must.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

No, back in 98 when I bought mine they came with purple springs and I want to say it was advertised at that time 500 over stock. The older guys will correct if wrong im sure. Some guys got more, some less. Most of us our low teck going by our little mini tacks. My motor was built with the stronger and preferred top end. I wanted to switch to the older shaft aluminum rockers and my builder Tyler rec-amended staying with what I had. He had run those to over 9k on his race motors with no issue. Push rods I think I got the best but stopped at build your own kit. that was way to much money, but not the money, the math! ***! Been years, but I probably could have done it. Brain cells. my original question was no valve seals. years ago. SBC when rollers first come out, we took out the seals, I don't remember any issues until it got colder and the motors warmed up. My father inlaw who is 95 read this...,, he is retired Ford. Says, they used to pull the valve seals so everyone thought they were ready to blow a motor before they raced. thoughts?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

Got the motor back in. I took pictures when it came apart but did not get the ones I needed of the wiring. A quick call to Tom, questions solved. It is cool, buy the motor and 6 years later you still get the service like you bought it yesterday. OMG. The 23 with cam and rev was cool. This one will make you almost wet your pants. And im still letting everything seat. It scarred me at first, smoked like a Colorado legal coffee shop for ten minutes. Then the rings found their groove. Just thumping the throttle, I am lifting the front end 6 inches, with only my anchor tail in the front seat. That is realy cool because I do have the alsport independent front end. It takes a little more to lift beyond the travel. The old lift was no issue with 23, but it could never begin to think about lifting. I know there is alot more in tuning in the carb, and clutches. I just dont have the knowledge to make it happen. I do have this roller clutch sitting here, if I get time, I will put it on. Trying right now to figure out my thinking how I wired up the stereo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor1.JPG (123.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Talntedmrgreen
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Goodness! Sounds like fun! Im ready for an oil change and to tinker with the carb a bit. Saving for 8:1's and I will be happy crawling and cruising. (Hoping for longevity!)
Talntedmrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

I think you will be real happy with the gear change. What I would do, If I was doing that again would be to take out the guts of the Governor in the rear end. I wish that I had. So then its change the throttle to get around it, or go back in the rear. I chose changing the throttle. Just a thought.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!