lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Quick HD leaf spring pack build

We put this leaf spring pack together for a customers cart that we will be working on tomorrow. He has a 2007 Club Car Precedent with a rear seat kit and he loads it up quite heavily. We felt this would be a great solution as oppose to the HD spring system. We were quite pleased with the results after completing them, they stiffened up the single factory spring nicely but we believe it will give the cart a nicer ride over an HD spring setup.

We started with 4 factory springs, the cut the eyes off of each end of 2 of them. We then rounded the corners off for a nice finish. We then needed a longer bolt, we then lathed the head of the bolt down to fit in the lower leaf assembly, we re used the factory nut. We then clamped the springs together and drilled 3/16" holes at each end to fasten the springs together so that the customer does not get the "clack, clack, clank" over the bumps. We then cleaned and prepped them for paint and give them several coats of paint so that they will hold up over time.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6605.JPG (132.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6607.JPG (132.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6610.JPG (130.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6611.JPG (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6613.JPG (127.5 KB, 0 views)
SC Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Quick HD leaf spring pack build

Those look nice! I'd like to do something like that to my Carryall, it's got the overly-stiff HD springs, very rough ride as we seldom have too much in the bed.

But aren't you worried that those 3/16" bolts out at the ends of different length springs are going to get seriously side-loaded and shear the first time he hits a bump with a heavy load?
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
Those look nice! I'd like to do something like that to my Carryall, it's got the overly-stiff HD springs, very rough ride as we seldom have too much in the bed.

But aren't you worried that those 3/16" bolts out at the ends of different length springs are going to get seriously side-loaded and shear the first time he hits a bump with a heavy load?
Yes they turned out great, I knew someone clever would ask that question about the bolts shearing. Yes it certainly crossed our mind so we did a couple things, one we used AN hardware, which is our aircraft grade hardware, which is very good in shear, however the most important thing we did was over size the 3/16" holes to allow the bolts to float back and forth while still keeping the leafs tight together.

In your case if you were going to be really overloading the springs I would suggest running a small slot in the leafs with fender washers on either side allowing the springs to really move!

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holomis Int View Post
the most important thing we did was over size the 3/16" holes to allow the bolts to float back and forth while still keeping the leafs tight together.
Ah, good thinking. I like the idea of slotting them too.

I was previously considering simply taking a leaf out of my current setup, but I'm away from home for a few months now, and can't even look at my spring setup to see if this is even possible...
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
Ah, good thinking. I like the idea of slotting them too.

I was previously considering simply taking a leaf out of my current setup, but I'm away from home for a few months now, and can't even look at my spring setup to see if this is even possible...
Yes slotting them is a great idea for really heavy applications. I imagine you would be able to pull a leaf out, I have heard of people on the forum doing that. We just felt this would be a great way and we had the parts on hand.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
rib33024

nice job on the springs, i was thinking of something like this to hold the springs together, so you don't have to drill a hole and bolt them,

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/c...lips-71-1.html

or this --- http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-G...96571/10002/-1
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
nice job on the springs, i was thinking of something like this to hold the springs together, so you don't have to drill a hole and bolt them,

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/c...lips-71-1.html

or this --- http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-G...96571/10002/-1
Thanks! Yes those are great ideas for sure, many ways to "skin the cat" I like the clamp system from jegs, it would be quite effective, and easy to install!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It was always to my understanding that you shouldn't drill or weld a tempered leaf spring,
won't the main leaf crack or break at one of the new holes under a load? or is there something I don't know?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

You could have made keepers with 2 hose clamps covering a peice of innertube at each end. Have done this on boat trailers before.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
You could have made keepers with 2 hose clamps covering a peice of innertube at each end. Have done this on boat trailers before.
Me too! but it's ugly as HE...CK!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car