lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
rdmiddle
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 G9 no spark

I have a 91 G9 that i dont have any spark. So far i have done the following to determine why I dont have spark and i am currently lost.

1. Checked all grounds for continuity back to the battery- Good
2. Checked to ensure i have a 12V constant going into the coil and CDI box(Red/white wire) while rolling the cart over - Good
3. Orange wire (Secondary power) out of the CDI box to the coil has no power (That i read on a volt meter - both AC and DC power)
4. Resistance between the white/black and with/red coming out of the Stator has 510 ohms
4. no readable power on a volt meter coming out of the stator (that i can read on a volt meter) while rolling the engine over.

I have a feeling theres something wrong with the Stator or CDI Box (ignitor), but i am not sure how i can test either one.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!
rdmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: 91 G9 no spark

Sounds like the cdi box may be bad if no current to the orange wire going to the coil. Usuallly the coils go bad on these before the cdi. One of the other more electrical tech guys here should be able to better tell how to test the cdi box.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most people say find one you can swap to test, because they don't go bad often and are not cheap. I have a used but its in storage and I'm not driving that far for it until spring most likely. Note a G2 ignitor is similar you have to move a wire or something, but they have a rev limiter in them so they cut out at high speed with no governor. You can test the ohms on the pickup coil on the flywheel, not sure what else you can do. Unless you mean that was the stator, there isn't one really its just a pick up and magnet on the flywheel. The generator makes 12v power to charge battery. You could test ohms on the coil. Make sure the plug is not fouled they barely show a spark when they are, the spark goes up inside. Is best to use a spark tester they are like $5 at autozone/etc. Or you can use some other new plug out of the engine to check.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
JustinCredible
Not Yet Wild

Had the same problem. The cheep g2 cdi doesn't work for cart because there is no magnito only a pickup and magnet. Reqplaced coil then found water inside cdi mounted prongs up (wrong prongs shoquld be down). Found a g9 cdi for 116 shipping included at DIY CARTS. COM
JustinCredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
JustinCredible
Not Yet Wild

Mounted the new cdi unit and problem solved. Immediate spark. ............. well that was until the top of the brand new cdi started sizzling. *** it!
When I check power with test light I have power coming from coil to the cdi. The ground wire coming from pickup is not connected. I only have 5 wires to deal with 1 coil primary(red and white) 1 coil secondary ( smaller connector .... orange) ground (black) and black/red & black/white Pi Krupp wires. Is there a voltage reg that might be bad causing cdi to malfunction or is it the ground wire on pickup?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
JustinCredible
Not Yet Wild

Should there be power coming from the coil? I am gonna trace out the coil wires to see if the ground wire is shorting out the block but connected it is going to ground anyway. Right?

How is power getting to coil when there are no other conectons to it except where it bolts to the block? Does have a wire that looks like a black grround with ring Connector. Does it matter which end that wire is connected?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
JustinCredible
Not Yet Wild

I do have to thank Doug Seville at DIYCARTS.COM for his great fast customer service. He even managed to get me a replacement cdi at now cost.

Its so great to deal with a company like them.

Thank you so much guys!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

On a G9 the black wire with ring goes on the coil mount bolt. The wire diagram is posted above in a sticky. I forget what way this works but a CDI/etc either controls the current pulse to the coil or controls the ground from it...to make pulses that cause the spark at the plug. Current through the coil creates a field and when the current stops and field collapses that is when the spark will be made. A magneto ignition (as on most lawn engines) the coil is on the flywheel and derives power directly from the magnets passing by, it does not need to be powered it is self powered. CDI and points type ignition require power usually 12v, the magnets on the flywheel are small and for a pick up signal or are for a stator there that charges the battery and is not for ignition.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha