lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Odd electrical component?

I was poking around in my 1997DS looking for the best way to wire in my voltage converter, when I saw a component that isn't mentioned on the schematic (from this site). It's wired with heavy gauge wire from the motor controller on one side and a terminal block on the forward wall under the driver's side (that looks like it splits into wires heading to the dash) on the other. It looks very much like a florescent ballast and warns that it may cause burns. The exposed side is wax-like, so maybe it's some sort of big resistor? Am I missing it on the schematic?
jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Odd electrical component?

Sounds like a 48 volt to 12 volt after market converter for accessory wiring? They get very warm-hot and should have switch to cut power to unit when not needed. Local person lost new EZGO because of shorted reducer.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I guess that could be what it is...there's also wiring from the 16volt point on the battery bank - I assumed that was running the lights. Guess I need to crawl around a little! Thanks.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

a lot of converters are set to convert 16 to 12 Volt !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
george48
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Jimg I have the same device on my 96 and dont know what it does. You posted a good question, now hopefully somebody has a definate answer. If it is a voltage regulator I would like to know how to hook up up to it.
george48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 1996 came from factory with series of inline resistors mounted with wiring panel on the top of shock and steering gear support that used whole pack 48 volts. If this one is wired at 16 volt point in pack it must be a voltage reducer, but test input and output for correct voltages before using.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My module seems to be a "5 volt drop". It's wired between ground (round about wiring via the ground lug on the motor controller) and the 'return' for the 12 volt stuff (in my case, this is just headlights and wires for a removed stereo). So my 12 volt lights are wired from the 16volt battery tap to this unit, which means they see 11volts.

I'm replacing this stuff with a real converter since I want to add a winch and modify my cargo box to dump with a linear actuator.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

well what a POS, I'd rather wire then to 16 Volts than 11 .
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My cart spent it's previous life toting around a big LCD monitor and quad stereo speakers selling something at golf tournaments. It was customized from stock by a company specializing in custom cars, not carts, so they got a few things wrong.

From a life of Riley to bottoming out on logs and being covered in mud - it probably has fond memories of back then ;)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

BEWARE I dont know of any reducer with enough amps to handle a winch? I have seen it tried and in most cases either the reducer or the winch or both burn out? Remember that a winch under load is not like a set of lights even with floods etc?
The addition of a extra 12 volt battery is the way for you to go.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car