lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
dmoubray
Not Yet Wild

Default '88 ezgo w/rebuilt not running right

I rebuilt an 88 ezgo(2pg). New crank, piston, rings, cylinder, ect. Got it back together and it is not running right. I push on the throttle and it stutters. I pull on the choke and finally moves and it runs good. I stop and it stutters again, pull the choke and it runs fine. Any ideas? This thing should get up and go with no hesitation, right?
dmoubray is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '88 ezgo w/rebuilt not running right

Definitely sounds like it's starving, here are a few of the "usual suspects" to take a look at:

1: Obviously you've got a new fuel filter, but did you pull the intake tube in the gas tank and check it for obstructions, gummed up, etc? Especially if the cart sat with premix in it for awhile prior to your rebuild, this is really common ...

2: Pull the line from the fuel pump to the carb and turn it over, you should get a healthy pulse of fuel (if it's a trickle or a weak dribble then you're looking at $32 for a new fuel pump or $29 for a rebuild kit - kind of a "non-decision", really)

3: Your jets could be plugged, again, especially if it sat prior to the rebuild. This diagram is for an 89 but I used it as a guide to do the carb on my 88 and it was spot-on. Make sure to pull and thoroughly inspect and clean ALL the jets.

4: Your exhaust could be plugged or at least partially so - loosen the 2 bolts between the headpipe and exhaust canister (right under the seat) so there's a gap there of at least 1/2-3/4" and take her for a spin (careful - it's going to be LOUD). If this solves the problem, you are looking at a good old-fashioned "Muffler BBQ" which works AMAZINGLY well and can be searched here in the forums.

5: Also, not as likely but possible is that you could be dealing with a very weak spark or possibly an intermittent one - also an easy remedy (and fairly low $$) if you search out "HEI Conversion" here on the Gas EZGO threads. My cart had the most unpredictable/frustrating spark last year, and I chased about a million gremlins around the cart for 3 weeks until I did the HEI and that completely solved my running issues ...

Hope this stuff helped - keep us posted as to the progress, Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (47.0 KB, 31 views)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oops - forgot to mention that you shouldn't fall for the tendency to not look at the carb because it ran OK prior to the rebuild, if that's the case - you now have a tight motor that's breathing more or less as it should, and your carb needs to be able to sling enough fuel to keep it all ticking correctly
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
dmoubray
Not Yet Wild

Ok that all sounds good! I will do some investigating and let ya know.
Thanks BrewCity!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

using the supplied diagram, closely inspect part #15. It looks like a plug, but there is a very fine hole in the bottom. Make sure this is clear. Mos common problem for having to run the choke to keep engine going. Use 1 wire from a wire wheel brush. I use a brass wire from a bar-b-que grill cleaning brush.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
dmoubray
Not Yet Wild

Yeah i took the carb completely apart and soaked it in carb cleaner. I will definetily inspect that #15 before I put it back together. Thanks bonduranth!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
dmoubray
Not Yet Wild

OK so I cleaned the carb and all the jets, float, bowl, etc. And before I installed the carb I checked the flow of fuel coming out of the fuel pump. So I pressed the accerator and the fuel just trickled out. So I inspected and cleaned every bit of fuel line or hose leading into the fuel pump and checked fuel pressure. Still very minimal, just a trickle. Should I be getting more then this? It has a brand new fuel pump.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

take the pump apart and look at closely. any little hole and it will need to be replaced. i have yet to find a rebuild kit. would love tho. if it looks good then maybe you need to prime the pump.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO