lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Need Help

I bought a GT Grant steering wheel for my Club Car. Started ripping it down tonight, and once I removed the 1" nut, I cant get the stock wheel off. It wont slide off the spline shaft like I though it would. It dawned on me that I might need some type of pulling tool. Is that right? Or can I get this thing off tonight using another method?

Thanks
skm2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
rcdd
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need Help

from what I've resd in here....knees on the dash...light pressure upward...and a rubber mallet.....and a few beers may help/hinder.....

I'm sure someone alot more experienced will be along shortly....*S*
rcdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

put the nut on till its flush at the end of the splined shaft so you don,t damage the threads when you whack it and feet on dash with knees putting upward pressure on wheel and than give it a good whack with a hammer........it should pop right off, if not spray some PB Blaster on it let it sit awhile and repeat the whack job it will pop off.......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Cool. I tried the feet on the dash thing with the knees behind the wheel, but it wouldnt come, and I didnt want to force it because I wasnt sure. I'll go try again. Thanks a bunch. I can always count on BGW!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

not sure how well setup you are, but I have always found doing what they say as far as the nut and hammer, with knees behind the wheel pushing REALLY hard, but if you have one...use an airchisel with a hammer end in it..the speedy sharp vibrations will pop that thing right off(usually). If not, keep wacking with the hammer
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Wow, this thing is kickin my ***. I'm done for the night. Didnt budge it one centimeter. I tried everything. Feet on the dash, thighs/knees behind the wheel, pulling with everything I had. The plastic stock wheel was bending like a taco shell. Tried putting some WD-40 on the spline. Beat the absolute sh** out of it with a rubber mallet. Even used a wood chock laying against the column, butted up to the plastic, and hit it with a claw hammer. Nothing. I must be doing something wrong.

Think I'll pick up a steering wheel puller at Autozone tomorrow. I'm pissed, this sucks, I never lose. I've got a tool to do anything. Not tonight I guess.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A standard car steering wheel puller will work,
but, you'll need to drill holes in the steering wheel as close to the shaft as possible,
(for the bolts to go all of the way through!)

Oh...You'll also need nuts and washers for the back side of the wheel!

Good luck!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hope by now you got the wheel loose, if not I found that the local dealer has a fix for it? Remove the steering column and place a hardwood block between the floor and with the locking Nut flush with end of shaft. Then slide a pipe over outer steering column and with 4 pound sledge drive the wheel loose. Mine had not been off since new in 1996 and it took 2 men and 15 minutes to break the wheel loose. Each man used hammer until tired and then switched off. Even at that the steering shaft was streched some and I had to run threader over shaft to be able to thread new nut on. The wheel was a total loss but you are replacing it anyway?
This all after I spent almost a day with all kinds of chemicals and even heat applied to wheel and shaft and bent the wheel beyond repair.
GOOD LUCK?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Old Mec -

Thats crazy. I had no idea this would be such an ordeal. I just figured it would just come right off. I was working last night with Mechanics Wear Gloves, so I didnt notice, but as I was getting ready for bed I looked down and saw that my pinkie finger on my right hand and my pinkie and ring finger on my left hand were almost solid purple. They looked like someone had smashed them with a hammer. I think what it is, is that I was pulling on the wheel so hard that I burst a bunch of capillaries under the skin, and it's a little subcutaneous bruising. Crazy huh?! I was pulling the sh** out of that thing!

I'm going to try the pulling tool this evening when I get home. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I made a simple puller and popped mine off in 5 minutes..... Once the puller was pre-loaded I smacked it with a 3 pound hammer. WD-40 is a lube not a rust breaker like PBblaster....Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car