lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question 16S litium pack?

Just out of curiosity, would a 16S LG Chem 64volt pack from a Chevy Bolt be too much voltage for a 48 volt cart? If one wanted to under charge the pack in order to lengthen its lifespan, I was thinking that the 16S would be OK. Is that true or am I missing something? It seems they are being sold in 16S packs and I do not know how easy it might be to break off one of the modules to make it a 14S. Seems like a waste anyway to remove one mod.

Any ideas on this or opinions?
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 16S litium pack?

I would say yes - it's too high a voltage. There are probably capacitors in the controller that are not rated for that high a voltage. I killed my Yamaha 48V controller with a 14S pack which tops out at about 58V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I think forum member bronson(?) answered this very question in a thread he did converting to a Chevy Volt pack and found running 16s at a lower voltage didn't provide as much range/ energy as running 14s charged to 4v per cell.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

From everything I've seen... most of the 48v system components are rated for up to 60 volts.

The chevy volt batteries are not near as easy to divide up as the leaf batteries. That is one of the reasons the leaf batteries are more popular with DIYers than the volt batteries.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car