lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Bodstrcil
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor just died while riding. Solenoid issue?

My club car died while my son was riding it. The solenoid would click from time to time so I figured that was a good start so I replaced it. Still nothing. The new solenoid doesn't click and the only noise is from the micro switches when they activate. I can get the motor to start by jumping a wire across the two big posts on the solenoid. That actually works with both the old solenoid and the new one. Anyone have an idea what I should check next?
Bodstrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Motor just died while riding. Solenoid issue?

just because the microswitch clicks does not mean it is good
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodstrcil View Post
My club car died while my son was riding it. The solenoid would click from time to time so I figured that was a good start so I replaced it. Still nothing. The new solenoid doesn't click and the only noise is from the micro switches when they activate. I can get the motor to start by jumping a wire across the two big posts on the solenoid. That actually works with both the old solenoid and the new one. Anyone have an idea what I should check next?
Your not getting power to from the micro switch located inside the box with the solenoid, there is a good chance the fault lies with the micro switch but you will need a multi Meter and probes preferably with alligator clips but you can work with the needle probes most cheaper meters come with there are several points that power gets interrupted before getting to the small signal wire that is attached to the solenoid. If everything is correct power is transferred to that tiny post which in turn "CLOSES" the solenoid allowing power to "pass through" from the battery to your starter/generator thus starting your cart the fact that you can successfully jump your solenoid tells me both solenoids are were good so don't get rid of either the problem lies between the key and the small terminal on the solenoid with the wire coming from those two micro switches next to it.
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Bodstrcil
Not Yet Wild

My multimeter has probes. I'll use vise grips to clamp ground to battery then I'm assuming just make sure voltage is passing through both of the micro switches? I found the switches online fairly cheap so maybe I'll go ahead and order some new ones.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
My multimeter has probes. I'll use vise grips to clamp ground to battery then I'm assuming just make sure voltage is passing through both of the micro switches? I found the switches online fairly cheap so maybe I'll go ahead and order some new ones.
There are 4 total two more located back of shifter. Of these 4 there are two different types 2 prong & 2-3prong. There are one + one at each location. The picture show the two tab one but they both work the same way. under the prong is that black bump that is spring loaded, you push that prong down, let it go it should snap back if it doesn't that is your bad one. Its a pretty good bet that if its a bad micro its one of the two in the black box these seem to be the common area. I took mine completely out of the equation and converted to a key start I hate those things. The two in that black box one sends power to your solenoid when you step on the gas, the other grounds the coil when you take your foot off the gas(shuts off the engine). Pay attention to wire colors and location, I think you will find it to be the micro switch on the top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170101_203703_005.jpg (77.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_203605.jpg (88.8 KB, 0 views)
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
Bodstrcil
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help. I will check the switches when I get a chance and go from there. I'll post results of what I find.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Read though this thread and u might be able to do this and fit the problem with out spending any money
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...dle-setup.html
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
When you're checking / testing keep in mind those micro switches and on the ground path side of the circuit. Power goes to the "control" side of the solenoid on the small blue wire (from the ignition key switch). The other side with the small orange wire should show battery + UNTILL you step on the pedal. At that point the upper of those two switches in the black box should complete the circuit to ground and activate the solenoid. Ground side is as important to the circuit as the powered side - and more often the culprit on these.
This thread has a good wiring diagram you can follow: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-diagrams.html
Don't worry about the 1992 year, if it's a DS that diagram should still cover it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
Bodstrcil
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the micro switches on the throttle and the ones on the shift lever and still nothing. What's the easiest way to get behind the ignition switch to check all connections? I can't really see much from looking under the front end.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

~Disconnect the battery... (the connections on the key switch will most likely touch the aluminum trim),
~On either side of the dash panel in the glove boxes, you'll see a button (screw cover)
~Pry the screw cover off with a small flat blade screw driver, (or equivalent)

click pics to enlarge:

Serial Number 2nd location 001.jpg

Serial Number 2nd location 002.jpg

~Loosen the 2 screws... DO NOT remove them!
~Pry the top of the dash panel out, and away from the aluminum trim,
~With the top of the panel angled toward you, work the bottom of the panel out from it's seat.
~It's a REALLY tight fit between the panel, steering column, and it's seat, so you'll have to kind of wrestle it out!
(it's even more fun wrestling it back in!)
The panel is sturdy, but somewhat flexible enough so it shouldn't break when removing, or reinstalling it.

Serial Number 2nd location 004.jpg

Serial Number 2nd location 006.jpg

Key Switch wiring.jpg

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car