lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
burge
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 g16 dies if you give full throttle

It dies if you try to give it full throttle right off the bat, but if you feather it, it and slowly get it up to full speed you can keep running full speed for as long as you want. But if you slow back down to idle you have to feather it again to get back to full speed. Took carb off last night it was filthy coal black inside, but no big blockages, runs a little better now but still same problem with full throttle. Any ideas?

Last edited by burge; 03-30-2016 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Add information
burge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Bubba75
My wife says I'm crazy...

Yamaha

Make sure your sg belt is at proper tension and not spinning on the pulley.
Bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
burge
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 g16 dies if you give full throttle

Thanks I will check that tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Sounds more like air/fuel mixture issue. And I'd say more of a fuel issue since the carb was filthy. May still have a jet clogged or trash in bowl of carb. Also, the fuel pump could be clogged. Checked you're entire air/fuel system: fuel lines, fuel pump (can take apart and clean just be careful with the rubber gasket and lay it out as you take it apart so it goes back together the way it came apart), air filter box (make sure air filter is clean and air filter box is sealed tight when closed), check plastic spacer between carb and intake for cracks (do not over tighten the two 10mm nuts they will easily crack the spacer/snug them only and check the gaskets also), check fuel filter, and check your gas cap to make sure it is still venting properly. Might look at the spark plug while your at it. Probably black and needs replacing too. Use NGK.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
burge
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, I replace the fuel filter last night and that helped. Runs a lot better now with less smoke. going to replace the spark plug tonight. The air filter that is in it looks a little funny though, it fits the shape of the housing but their is no real filter just above the air intake to the carb, just metal mesh. teher is filter material through the rest of the filter area but none on the small square area just above the intake. Is that normal. Last night it would take off and go full throttle much better but I had to push the pedal just a little bit down first to get the engine to fire before giving it full throttle. If I simply push it to the floor it turns over but doesn't fire but if I back off it will fire and then run out to full throttle. Is there something in the pedal mechanism that it only fires it to get started at a certain point?
Old 04-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

The pedal switch only fires the starter generator. Your cart just needs a good tune up which is what you are doing. I would take apart the fuel pump and clean it if you think you can. Just be careful with it. If you don't think you can, run some fuel injection cleaner through it. Just add a bottle to a new full tank of fresh gas. And get a new plug and air filter.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
burge
Not Yet Wild

I put some sea foam in it last night, i will clean the fuel filter out this weekend. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes....... sounds like you probably need to pull the carb apart and use some spray carb cleaner on it. Pull the jets out and make sure they are clean by using the little tube with the carb cleaner. Also do the same on all the passages in the carb. Then if you have access follow it up with compressed air.

Your description is a sign of trash blocking passages or jets, or both. The sea foam may help, but I doubt you'll fix it without getting into the carb.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

I bet you'll also find about an eigth inch pile of sandy grit in the lower valley of the fuel pump. Spray it with carb cleaner as well. You may have to scrape it out. Remember to lay the fuel pump or anything for that matter out piece by piece as you take it apart so you know how to put it back together correctly. Pull things apart slow so you don't damage any rubber gaskets.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha