lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Default Trying to soften lifted DS ride

Have a DS with a 6 inch All Sport SS lift, 22-10 Timberwolf tires with just enough pressure to be safe and HD rear springs with 1 leaf removed.
I'm trying to soften the ride, it's mostly a road and beach buggie.
The front end suspension is very stiff.
I see there are 2 front leaf springs on the lift. On stock carts there's 1. There's no more load on the front of a lifted cart than stock.
Are both springs necessary ?
Has anyone taken one out ?
Would changing the length of the spacers between the spring and lower A-arm have an effect on the ride ?
It seems to me if you shorten the spacers it will give more spring travel.
I've got to do something to soften the front end, but before I start tearing it apart, I was looking for thoughts and ideas on this.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Trying to soften lifted DS ride

Changing the Urethane bushings probably won't affect the ride as much as it would affect the height...

As for removing the top leaf... Yes, many have done it with great success!
I considered it also with my 4" AS SS, but, I tend to ride a bit more "off-road" then "on-road".

When I saw that springbok's leaf broke after about a year of his install,
and then put his top leaf back in again after replacing the broken leaf,
I decided against doing it with my cart!

Click >>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...ub-car-15.html

Different rear leafs may be your best alternative to cushion the back bone jarring ride!
I put on Cart Parts Plus "medium duty" rear leafs on my cart, they're still a bit stiff when I'm by myself,
but defiantly better than HD springs, and even more comfortable with additional passengers!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

I know changing bushings will not change ride. I am referring to the spacers between the spring and the lower A arm. It seems to me if you shorten those spacers ,you will relieve some pressure on the spring allowing for more travel.
Also another thought I just had ,is shorten the length of the upper spring so it acts more like a helper spring.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do yourself a favor, read my build thread. I had the same issue. Ended up throwing the leafs springs that came with the kit out. Use the factory front leaf, cut the ends off, blow a hole in each end so the links can go thru them. You'll love it and should only take you an hour. You'll also need longer bolts and two 1" spacers to keep it at the same height, but then you will actually have suspension. If you check right now it probably doesn't move at all!
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I bought the Allsports SS kit in January 2013 and ran it for about three years. Like you, I thought I could remove that smaller top leaf since there didn't seem to be much weight up front. So in late 2015 I removed it. Well, a year later the big leaf snapped in half.

So the moral of the story is that if you're going to run a single leaf, at least don't run the leaf that came with the kit, maybe do like Streetbu did and use the original stock spring from the cart before you lifted it.

Also be aware that you'll likely need to adjust your camber if you change out leafs up front.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
Hit it like a champ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
Do yourself a favor, read my build thread. I had the same issue. Ended up throwing the leafs springs that came with the kit out. Use the factory front leaf, cut the ends off, blow a hole in each end so the links can go thru them. You'll love it and should only take you an hour. You'll also need longer bolts and two 1" spacers to keep it at the same height, but then you will actually have suspension. If you check right now it probably doesn't move at all!
I know this is a old thread but where do the 1” spacers go I am in the process of doing this right now. What did you use for spacers.
Looking a a picture in his build there looks like he took the 1’’ spacer that was on the bolt for the bushings and added another 1’’ spacer to that.
Hit it like a champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the long bolts that go thru the lower a arms and then thru the leaf springs. They are basically used to connect the spring to the suspension. Changing the length of them changes the height of the cart.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts