lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
legmanca
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Taking off G2 governor

When taking off or bypassing the governor on a 86 g2 yamaha, do you have to take off the stock exhaust to get at it or should I make a access door on the top section about where the govenor sits?? Thanks for the help
legmanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Taking off G2 governor

Just let all the air out of the rear tires and you should be fine.

Remove the muffler.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The muffler comes off easily, even the whole rear body cover comes off in a few minutes.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Hey sho, what's up buddy? Haven't seen you in a few months. Good to see you again.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
legmanca
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

THANKS guys. I guess ill have to take off muffler and/or body. For the meanwhile I have the governor adj nut turned all the way down and speed is better now but I think turning the governor down to max might be hard on the governor. Do you think it will damage the governor fork to leave the nut set in the max position?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by legmanca View Post
THANKS guys. I guess ill have to take off muffler and/or body. For the meanwhile I have the governor adj nut turned all the way down and speed is better now but I think turning the governor down to max might be hard on the governor. Do you think it will damage the governor fork to leave the nut set in the max position?
I had mine that way for a couple years before I got a BB. No problems.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
legmanca
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Nice cart there Ron. Its cool. I got alot of work to do on mine this winter. I pulled off the body easily with 5 bolts. Now i have to pull off exhaust. Looks like 2 bolts at bottom and 2 or 4 at the motor port. Ic seen 2 ways to bypass the governor, one is drill out the arm round and the other way is to just unhook the cable from the carb to gov and throw away, then unhook the throttle cable on the other side of governor and run that cable right to the carb. Which way is the best or easiest way to bypass governor?? Help me please. Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

When I did it, I ran the cable from the pedal right to the carb. I think I had to make a little bracket to hold the cable in position. All of the gov stuff you can take off.
Check here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...or-bypass.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Hey Spriddle, NewGuy....way too busy of a summer! I get stuck outside and no PC time to chat. Get to rebuild two G9 motors now should be fun.

I've done them both ways, dunno if one is harder. Problem is after a couple years it breaks the throttle cable due to pressure the governor puts on it at high speeds if you don't do it. Lifted carts I did didn't go much faster with no governor, maybe downhill a little. I also had to make a bracket for the single cable mod, that is why I used to drill the governor arm instead. You also need to put a spring on the arm so it can't flip up and off, I used an auto carb return spring of some kind...and you need to fashion a spring on the carb for the single cable way too. Keep thinking I used one from the arm there but not sure.

Pretty sure you can do it just taking the muffler off, but easier if you do the body too.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
legmanca
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys. I took of body no problem with only 5 bolts, 5 mins. I have to remove exhaust now. Ill see more of which way to go once I can see the whole governor. And I will have to put a adjustable bolt on the floor behind the gas pedal to limit the gas pedal travel so my kids arent running it wide open. Right now I had my g2 cart clocked at around 18 mph or 30kmph.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha