lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
kaptaink
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default jackshaft or VC clockwise kit

Hey guys!

I just bought my first cart and I am working on my upgrade path. Most of the exterior stuff is already ordered(thanks Dave@ revolution!) but I am just starting the power side.
Looking for some information/feedback – I plan to put a predator 670 in my 98 club car DS, question is do I run the VC clockwise kit which looks slick, or build a jackshaft setup.

I am wondering how much if any extra thrust load pushed into the engine via the pto with that VC setup. I don’t think the pred 670 has a thrust bearing, only the radial bearing. IF the load is minimal and does not effect the life of the 670 I won’t care.

Building a jackshaft setup requires a little more work as it is not a kit, but will not be placing thrust load onto the engine. I am also wondering which setup is better from a power loss / efficiency standpoint.

If anyone would reply with thoughts / opinions that would be great, especially anyone running the VC clockwise setup

Looking thru the forum there is a nice jackshaft thread here
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=101577&page=6
I really like this setup but it was done with a carryall, need to check the space my DS has and how to make a jackshaft fit.

Cheers!
kaptaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: jackshaft or VC clockwise kit

Direct drive from the crankshaft will be the most efficient. It will also likely wear that bearing out if there is a bearing. These engines were designed to have the load on the crankshaft side so that's the best way to run them. Doesn't mean that using the other side won't work nor does it mean it won't last a long time, just not as long.

Chain driven jackshafts have been known to have issues with chain stretch, just make sure you factor that into your design if you go that way. Make it so you can adjust the tension on the chain or have a spring loaded tensioner.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
kaptaink
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thanks for the feedback - kinda what I was thinking regarding the wear. I have time as the stock setup seems to be in good condition. Everything is in original location on the governor/limiter so it may never have been tweaked.

sounds like I need to consider simplicity/ease of install vs longevity. Of course I will keep my eyes open for a 96 rear end as well to make it even easier

I may just run the stock power till winter of 22, and enjoy the lift & new cosmetic changes till then. I will likely bump the revs up to about 3300 to hold me over on the power/speed.

Would still like to hear feedback from someone running the VC setup
thanks @slonomo
Old 10-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The HF 670 has the same sized ball bearings on both sides of the crankshaft unlike the B&S vanguard which uses a bushing on the flywheel side. With the bearings being the same on both ends of the 670 is why you see offerings using the flywheel side of this engine for power output. Both Vegascarts and Performance 670 took advantage of this feature to expand the ease of installation of this engine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
kaptaink
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thx for posting that- do you know if it is a radial bearing or thrust bearing? from diagrams I saw it looked radial only. I don't have the engine so I'm not able to confirm
Old 10-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You may have a tough time getting an engine at this time
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
kaptaink
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

yeah - things are crazy right now. I'm not in a rush and will run stock till I get my hands on one. My local harbor freight says they have more coming in next week, but I'm hoping to catch a sale
Old 10-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Well if raydhd is correct and the bearings are the same you should be good to go. I haven't disassembled one of these engines yet so I can't confirm. I'm seeing lots of aftermarket support for the HF670 so it must be a good platform. I really liked the one I had, ran great lots of power. As far as supply chain goes, good luck. Put your order in. When I ordered mine they told be it would take several weeks, it actually showed up in 3 days Harbor Freight isn't the most organized company but they deliver when it counts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
kaptaink
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

lol several weeks to 3 days. I guess that is a good surprise. we do live in crazy times these days. I'm just glad I am not in a rush.

I promised myself and my wife to finish a theater room project before I tear into the cart. Even then I will drive stock powertrain and enjoy the cart for a bit. However I could see having the repower done for next summer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!