lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Vanguard Draining Battery

I'm having an issue with my battery draining, wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

I have had 3 big blocks: VC440/460, 16hp Vanguard, 23hp Vanguard

The VC440 and 16hp Vanguard never, I mean NEVER drained my battery. I used the exact same switch, wiring etc when I installed the brand new 23hp Vanguard. Ever since the battery runs flat after about 3 days. If I leave it sit long enough, the battery voltage is down to around 7 volts

Recently I completely rewired the entire cart, with new cable ends, new battery clamps, and a new starter switch. Same result.

If I leave the battery disconnected at the positive terminal, the battery holds voltage for weeks at a time. When I connect it, works fine. So that's what I've been doing lately. To get around the problem I'll likely install a battery disconnect switch like from a boat or race car.

Obviously there's something robbing voltage on this engine. What on earth could it be?

Anyone else ever have this issue?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard Draining Battery

My B&S Opie used to do that. When I changed the charge coil the problem was cured. I had destroyed the original charge coil getting the flywheel off the old engine. I tried every thing under the sun trying to tack down the battery draining issue with no success. Don't know if your problem is the same but mine was really an odd situation.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ray thanks, I wondered about that. I've never had the flywheel off on this one, but I think when I first hooked up the wires I had wrong. It's highly possible the old key switch was bad and caused the issue. Wonder if there's a test for that?

I also did some reading and some people have said that a bad voltage regulator could cause a drain as well, but I would think only from running the engine and using lights etc if the regulator output is low. Not sure a regulator issue could cause it to drain the battery from sitting.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

To me it sounds like a charging diode problem.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
To me it sounds like a charging diode problem.
Will that drain the battery when it sits?

I have checked the output and it's 14 volts while running.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Will that drain the battery when it sits?

I have checked the output and it's 14 volts while running.
I don't know what type rectifier you use but a diode can do two things when it dies -- it can burn out and create an open circuit and not charge at all. The second is the diode can fuse and pass current both ways. It will charge when running and discharge when not.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
I don't know what type rectifier you use but a diode can do two things when it dies -- it can burn out and create an open circuit and not charge at all. The second is the diode can fuse and pass current both ways. It will charge when running and discharge when not.
Ah ha! I just learned something. I knew diodes will act like a fuse when they blow it will be open. I've never heard of the opposite. So looks like I will need to check that in the future. Thank you sir!
Old 09-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Ah ha! I just learned something. I knew diodes will act like a fuse when they blow it will be open. I've never heard of the opposite. So looks like I will need to check that in the future. Thank you sir!
A diode is like a gate valve for electricity causing the current to move in one direction. A diode lets one half of an AC sine wave to pass turning AC current to DC current. Multiple diodes are used to hookup a hi output alternator.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
A diode is like a gate valve for electricity causing the current to move in one direction. A diode lets one half of an AC sine wave to pass turning AC current to DC current. Multiple diodes are used to hookup a hi output alternator.
This is good stuff.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #10
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
I'm having an issue with my battery draining, wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

I have had 3 big blocks: VC440/460, 16hp Vanguard, 23hp Vanguard

The VC440 and 16hp Vanguard never, I mean NEVER drained my battery. I used the exact same switch, wiring etc when I installed the brand new 23hp Vanguard. Ever since the battery runs flat after about 3 days. If I leave it sit long enough, the battery voltage is down to around 7 volts

Recently I completely rewired the entire cart, with new cable ends, new battery clamps, and a new starter switch. Same result.

If I leave the battery disconnected at the positive terminal, the battery holds voltage for weeks at a time. When I connect it, works fine. So that's what I've been doing lately. To get around the problem I'll likely install a battery disconnect switch like from a boat or race car.

Obviously there's something robbing voltage on this engine. What on earth could it be?

Anyone else ever have this issue?
I have the same problem. Did you ever discover what the problem was? I have had my flywheel off!
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!