lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 96 TXT cart wish list to/do list

I just bought a 96 TXT electric and have several things I want to do to it. Mind you I am not trying to build a show piece on this one. It will be used on sporting clays courses and tournaments so its bound to get some nicks and scratches along the way. I just want it to be functional to ride us around at tournaments and courses and will mainly be on dirt or graveled pathways. No real off-roading just on dirt paths. Its a 96 TXT with rear seat. It came with a Textron charger, full coverage top, folding windshield, lights, a horn, and batteries that were new in Oct 2011, for which I paid $800. I have a picture but get a warning that I cannot post it until being a member for 30 days?!?
The body rocks and rolls if you pull on the roof supports and I have posted another thread asking about changing shocks and springs. Here is a list of things I want to do and some of these I have no idea how to accomplish. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

- Key is non existant and previous owner could not find the one that fits the switch. There is a switch in the dash beside the battery meter that appears to be from a house type door lock. Its in the on position and cart operates fine but I want to replace with an ezgo switch like I found on a retailers website. How do I get to the back side of the dash without tearing the whole cart apart? Any better ideas than replacing with ezgo switch?

-I am ordering a Clays basket for the front and it appears to be an easy install on the roof support hardware. Anything to watch for on this accessory addition?

- I am going to get some sort of gun mount not so much for transporting the guns as we drive but a place to hold them while we might be out of the cart at a stop or lunch or other situation where you don't want to just lay it on the seat. Thinking about a floor mounted stand type.

- I am buying a set of like-new wheels and tires from a friend who removed them from a fairly new cart that he lifted. They are same size as mine are. Is this just a simple swap or do you replace anything or re-grease when swapping wheels and tires.

- Do you need to service the rear differential with fluid or grease?

- How do I ensure that the brakes are adjusted and still have life? They stop the cart fine and will make it slide if you slam them on but I want to be sure about safety.

Thanks for any help you care to offer.
ROBinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 TXT cart wish list to/do list

welcome to BGW rob. your switch should be mounted on a removable plate. you will have to either drill out the rivets holding it or some have a pin in the center that you just push in to release. you can get replacement rivets or just use a small screw when replacing the plate.
the tires and wheels are a direct swap. might lube the steering gear when you have the front wheels off.
on the rear end, it use 10 oz. of 30wgt oil. no way to check it except to drop the cover. then you have to fill the cover with fresh oil and carefully replace. don't need a gasket, silicone works fine.
on the brakes you will have to pull the drums to inspect. at the top of this forum go to the stickies and look for the manual one. go to bennetts carts and download the manual for your cart to help on all this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 042511008.jpg (199.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4283.jpg (45.3 KB, 0 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
welcome to BGW rob. your switch should be mounted on a removable plate. you will have to either drill out the rivets holding it or some have a pin in the center that you just push in to release. you can get replacement rivets or just use a small screw when replacing the plate.
I just used brass bolts - one per plate - and a piece of 1/8" thick 1/2" wide piece of aluminum that is tapped for the bolt, that is longer than the opening. I didn't utilize the top tabs or the rivet holes.

I'm about to merge my two plates into one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3063.jpg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys those comments help. I have located a keyed switch at auto parts store taht I think I am going to use. I notice what looks like a cigarette plug recepticle on one of your pictures. I am interested in how one would tap into the battery bank to get a 12 volt receptacle to plug in accessories.

Update:

-I swapped out the wheels and tires. I spray painted the hub caps with satin black and they came out well.

-I bought a Kolpin gun mount from Bass Pro and mounted it on the slope of the floor board towUTV ards right side of center of the cup holders. I kinda sandwiched the mounting plate and a piece of angle iron on the backside to a vertical support on back side of floor board and it isnt going anywhere. The center post swivels so it holds guns vertical and I am very pleased with how it came out.

-Ordered the clays basket whihc should be here this week

-Decided that I am getting HD leaf springs for front and rear and will see if shocks are needed after that. By looking at the underside of the carts the springs look fairly straightfoward to swap. Is this the case?

I want to post some photos but not sure if I read correctly that I have to have a number of posts first? Thanks again guys.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

coming along! springs are easy to swap out. make sure you do one side at a time in the rear, cause the weight of the motor makes it want to turn down. you should be able to post pics now. think it takes 5 posts to qualify. on the cigar lighter, just tap off two of your batts. and run the wires to the dash area. you should put an inline fuse on the hot side also.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a picture of the installed gun mount
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a picture of the cart in the "before" state. Boring huh??

Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBinGA View Post
Here is a picture of the cart in the "before" state. Boring huh??
Don't think of it as boring, think of it as a blank canvass.....
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Finally got around to adding a 6 inch lift kit and 22x11x8 wheel and tires. We use this cart a lot at Sporting Clays competitions around the Southeast. Really serves us well. I also added the outlet to the dash and decided on adding a dedicated 12 volt marine battery for it. We use that to plug in cell chargers but usually a small fan that I mount to the front right roof support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996 TXT after lifting.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Rob, its looking good. Just a word of caution, seeing as you have lifted your cart and have pit bigger wheels/tires on it, your druve system will start to deteriorate, as your cart was originally designed to carry two adults, their clubs, and run on 18" tires. jsut the larger tires will put more load on the system.

Sooner or later you will ned up needing to upgrade the drive system.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO