lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Cracked Windshield in 87 Cushman Truckster

The windshield in my 1987 truckster is cracked and the area around the crack is beginning to haze. I didn't break it, it came that way when I bought the truckster. I would like to replace it, along with the rubber gasket that surrounds the glass since the gasket has shrunk, leaving a 1 1/2" gap between the ends. I've been searching for a new windshield, and gasket, but without luck.

It has to be laminated safety glass, because I sometimes use my truckster on the local roads and the NC vehicle and traffic laws require it (requires certification label in the glass). It's flat (fortunately) and I know that laminated glass can be cut, but getting the certification label in it will be difficult if I go this way. I was hoping to find an original new windshield or one in used/good condition. Plexiglass or Lexan are not acceptable to me, although they would be a safe alternative, since using a windshield wiper on them will quickly scratch them and require early replacement.

Does anyone know where I can find a good safety glass windshield?

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cracked Windshield in 87 Cushman Truckster

Some additional information: The auto glass shop near me just gave me a soft estimate of $200 to make and install the windshield. A large glass shop across town wants $345 to do the same thing. I'm still looking.

At this price the crack doesn't seem so bad after all.

Charley
Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
Some additional information: The auto glass shop near me just gave me a soft estimate of $200 to make and install the windshield. A large glass shop across town wants $345 to do the same thing. I'm still looking.

At this price the crack doesn't seem so bad after all.

Charley
Try calling Safelite I used them for my Jeep windshield and you can barely see the old damage. They can do it if its not spidering and not real big.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

The crack in my windshield is about 7 inches long, about 4 inches up from the left bottom corner. It curves down to the bottom of the windshield at the right end. The windshield has been cracked for many years and the safety lamination between the layers has become cloudy white for a distance of about 1/2 - 1 inch on either side of the crack. This is not a small chip or spider crack, so it's not a candidate for an epoxy repair. I wish it was. The rubber gasket around the windshield needs replacing too. It is brittle and has shrunk, leaving a gap of about 1 inch between the ends.

Charley
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The crack in my windshield is about 7 inches long, about 4 inches up from the left bottom corner. It curves down to the bottom of the windshield at the right end. The windshield has been cracked for many years and the safety lamination between the layers has become cloudy white for a distance of about 1/2 - 1 inch on either side of the crack. This is not a small chip or spider crack, so it's not a candidate for an epoxy repair. I wish it was. The rubber gasket around the windshield needs replacing too. It is brittle and has shrunk, leaving a gap of about 1 inch between the ends.

Charley
I restored a Cushman a few years ago and I went with a plastic windshield, unfortunately my Cushman did not have a flat shield it was curved and they were out of business at the time and parts were not around for that one.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I may end up with plastic, but have found that plastic windshields and windshield wipers don't get along very well. The plastic scratches way too easily and you end up replacing it in a short time because of the haze created by all of the scratches.

If I can't find a NOS original, a used one in good condition, or someone to make me one for a more reasonable price I may end up with plastic.

Charley
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I may end up with plastic, but have found that plastic windshields and windshield wipers don't get along very well. The plastic scratches way too easily and you end up replacing it in a short time because of the haze created by all of the scratches.

If I can't find a NOS original, a used one in good condition, or someone to make me one for a more reasonable price I may end up with plastic.

Charley
Your right about the wiper, I didn’t turn in on ever just used Rainx and avoided the rain.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
cuzinit
Not Yet Wild

If you have to go to plastic. Use polycarbonate (Lexan) Acrylic (Plexiglas) Is not as strong and will break to easy. heck on wiper blades for golf carts a lot of them use plastic windshields. Then do as Flharleycop suggested and just use Rain X it works great I use it all the time.
cuzinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks, but I've already considered polycarbonate if I can't find a good glass windshield at a reasonable price. A friend thinks he knows where a wrecked Cushman is, so I'm waiting to see if the windshield in it is still good and if the guy wants to sell it. My windshield is still usable, but it has a crack in the lower left corner, and the bottom edge of the laminate is getting cloudy, so I can still use it.. If a good windshield comes along at the right price I'll go for it. A new laminated windshield made and installed by a glass company will cost about $200. I'll consider any true replacement that's in good condition if the price is fair.

Charley
Old 10-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I got tired of looking for a new windshield and had the local glass shop make me one out of laminated safety glass, just like the original. They did a great job making it and they installed a new rubber gasket too for $172. No more water leaks when it rains. This is the way to go if you need a windshield, although it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. It's way better than going with plastic if you have a windshield wiper since the wipers scratch the plastic very quickly.

Charley
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts