lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
dmeals
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default ’68 HD D Cart Frame-off Restoration – Part II

TO FIND PICS OF THIS PROJECT:
- Click on my name in the post
- View my public profile
- View albums on the rigth of page

Can you say time consuming!!!!!!!!!! WOW! This stuff takes an unbelievable amount of time!!

OK. Continued on with the glass work to repair the leg skins. Badly broken up on the bottoms. A little glass, a little grinding, a little more glass, some more grinding and some filler to fair out and all is good. Just started filling with fairing compound. Should be completed by the weekend. AGAIN…start with a body/cowling that has a few dings and has not been painted by someone else with 2-4 coats of thick enamel. Don’t start with a beast that has 41 yrs of neglect and had been beaten to death as well. It will make a significant difference in your time & money spent!! Will post when complete.

On to the frame. Have had my folks sand blast 30-50’ boats, but never anything quite like this. Also never sand blasted myself. Actually, wasn’t too bad, although you can count on sand in your eyes, your ears, in between your teeth, and in your crack!, etc. Does a nice job though and is the only way to go IMO if you are restoring anything! FYI, notice the pics of the parts we forgot to sandblast the first go-round! Finished them afew days afterwards and then had to blast AGAIN yesterday a few smaller engine related parts (torque converter, brake assy, voltage regulator, misc brackets, etc.). Again, all looks new and protected for years with a good coat of primer and a few coats of paint. See pics.

Primed and painted the frame same day we sand blasted. Used Tractor Supply implement primer & paint. Many of my customers use TSC implement paint to refinish their trailers and have had excellent results. This stuff is tough as nails with great durability! Plan on some time here too. This is not easiest job to get complete coverage!! Also primed & painted all the little stuff…brackets, engine components, pulleys, springs, fenders, generator, etc. See pics in album.

Ordered motor longblock, cables, brakes, tune-up kit, seals, belts, fuel sender, misc parts, etc., today. Hope they will be in next week. Anxious to get motor reassembled ASAP!

Chrome pcs, old and new, went to chrome shop yesterday. All old chrome, plus a few new pcs. You’ll have to follow me to see what we’ve done here. I think you’ll like!!!

Lots and lots of hours went into decision for tires and wheels. OMG…never thought this would be tough. Lots of very, very cool stuff out there if you have a 4 whlr!! Try getting a two-sided mag for a 3 wheeler!???? Not gonna happen! Thought I’d split a couple of mags, weld center, finish and all would be good. Not so. Even with chrome hub assy, still will not match rear…at least to my satisfaction. Eventually decided to go with hub caps simply drilling whole in front 2 caps for axle and spacer. At least this way they will all match. Having the axle, nut, washer, etc. chromed as well. Should look killer! Decided on Carlisle Turf Saver tires. Will sand blast stock rims and paint silver.

Had a friend of mine stop by with his ’06 Harley Screamin Eagle Electra Glide so we could digitally scan his paint for paint codes/mixture for the the cowling. This paint is Electric Orange and Black with Silver stripes. Will either paint with Dupont Chroma Premiere (very, very expensive), Chroma (very expensive) or Nason (kinda pricy too compared with most restorations using implement paint or spray can!). All, however, are well worth the spend given the difference in the finish outcome. 2-3 coats of paint, 4-5 coats of clear and she’ll look like a million bucks. We will use a single stage paint without pearl. The Harley utilizes a 3 coat pearl paint job that is outstanding…but VERY difficult to repair if needed. A simple base clear paint job, with a lot of wet sanding in between clear coats will produce a glass-like finish!!! Again…I’ll post pics!

That’s the plan. TIRED. Headed home for dinner, a chat with my wife along with a few more beers…and do it again in the morning. Will keep ya posted!
dmeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Craigs carts
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: ’68 HD D Cart Frame-off Restoration – Part II

WOW!!!!!!!
Craigs carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Strawhead
Future World Dictator

Columbia

Great job so far!!!
Strawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
brush
Not Yet Wild

Hi Do you have the paint code or formula for the Harley electric orange please as I am trying to paint the hard bags on my VROD
Thanks
brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
dmeals
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

No. Had a friend's SE digitally scanned to come up with paint. Check the HD bike forums. Hard to find, HD tight lipped about the codes on SE bikes. It is a PPG product.
dmeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
brush
Not Yet Wild

Hi many thanks I ahve scanned the Harley sites but cannot find any info as Harley will not release the codes. I will have to have mine scanned
Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
hunt4food
Gone Wild

Club Car

I wish I had your commitment lol good luck with the project I have a running harley here if yeah need anything I will be parting it out and selling most everything including the top with hardware
hunt4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
brush
Not Yet Wild

Thanks which Harley is it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson