lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default Tubing Notcher VS Plasma Cutter?

I have two tubing notchers that worked OK, except they are the kind that has bronze bushings. The bushings wear out after lots of use. Where do you find new bushings and how do you replace them?

If the bushings can't be replaced then I would be looking at either a Pro Tools or JD2 notcher...but I would much rather put that money towards a plasma cutter.

How well do plasma cutters work for notching round tubing? I've got so many uses for a plasma cutter which is why I would not want to spend money on another tubing notcher instead. Is it possible to make very accurate notches quickly with the plasma?
What kind of plasma cutter should I be looking for? I dont need it to cut 1" thick aluminum, were talking more like .065" to 1/4" steel or max 3/16" aluminum.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Tubing Notcher VS Plasma Cutter?

To me, my plasma cutter works like a very precise cutting torch without all the heat. It can do much better than i'm able to. You can cut your name in cursive or gouge out small amounts of metal (like grinding) without cutting through a piece. the more you use it the better you'll get. the speed which it'll cut through things is amazing. all you need is a line to follow and it'll zip right through whatever. the thing i'd look for if I was getting another one is the cost and availability of the consumable parts. I didn't do this and those parts for mine are kinda pricey so I will use other options in cutting metal at times to save money.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I still use a grinder to notch with. Done it that way from the beginning and have my own technique! It would be nice to have when notching at an angle, though...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
To me, my plasma cutter works like a very precise cutting torch without all the heat. It can do much better than i'm able to. You can cut your name in cursive or gouge out small amounts of metal (like grinding) without cutting through a piece. the more you use it the better you'll get. the speed which it'll cut through things is amazing. all you need is a line to follow and it'll zip right through whatever. the thing i'd look for if I was getting another one is the cost and availability of the consumable parts. I didn't do this and those parts for mine are kinda pricey so I will use other options in cutting metal at times to save money.
Thats one thing I was wondering about how expensive it is to use a plasma cutter. Which kind do you have? I am interested in either Longevity ForceCut LP-40D on sale for $400 or a Simadre 50A. The consumables for the Simadre are 25 pieces for $35. I've seen 235pcs kit for $48 with other plasma cutters. I just looked up the Longevity 30 piece kit and its $179. Is it worth buying a machine with Pilot Arc starting?

Hey Mike do you prefer using flap discs or the hard grinding wheels?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

plasma cutter do nothing for us but collect dust..use it once or twice a year.. if that
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I'm notching, I will use a solid disc - the thicker the better! Anytime else, I really like the flappers for day to day grinding and clean up

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
Thats one thing I was wondering about how expensive it is to use a plasma cutter. Which kind do you have? I am interested in either Longevity ForceCut LP-40D on sale for $400 or a Simadre 50A. The consumables for the Simadre are 25 pieces for $35. I've seen 235pcs kit for $48 with other plasma cutters. I just looked up the Longevity 30 piece kit and its $179. Is it worth buying a machine with Pilot Arc starting?
I have a marquette, forgot the model number right off but it's a branded Cebora. like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marquette-Lincol...item1c0f8d5cf4
they're also sold as snap-on, daytona-mig, Solar, Chicago-electric, and others.
it's a pilot arc I believe, not the high frequency start inverter type. my use was automotive work so anything that might damage electronics like the inverter type are known to do wasn't suitable. it'll cut through around 1/4" thick. the nozzle/electrodes are around $4/$5 each for the kind I like to use mostly, they have some that don't cost as much but it's still pretty pricey for them. depends on how good you are with it and what your cutting as to how long they last. you can burn up some nozzles if you start cutting in tight corners and places where it's hard to get the right spacing from the material being cut. It's just costs a little extra in nozzles and electrodes to learn how to cut with one. just kinda guessing cause it will depend on the thickness of what your cutting but I can probably cut better than a hundred feet of 1/8 steel on a set. With mostly cutting beams, tubing and stock it's kinda hard to figure out just how much I can actually get out of a set. I had decided I would at some point get an inverter cutter that has the cheaper consumables set just because of the cost, and you can cut much thicker stuff using the same amount of power/air.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Check this out, it seems to be a better way.
www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php/t=456800
hookm
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookm View Post
Check this out, it seems to be a better way.
www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php/t=456800
hookm
Link not work?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Sorry,try instructables.com then do search for Fitting Tubes at Home for Welding. It's in the comments at the end. It tells how to do it with a chop saw. hookm
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center