lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
NetMXer
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cutting torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
A complete shop must have a set of torches and a plasma cutter. I love the
plasma as well.
Don't forget a sledge hammer
NetMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #22
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMXer View Post
Don't forget a sledge hammer
We call that a BFH!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #23
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
We call that a BFH!!!
LMAO!!! you got that right.
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
NetMXer
Gone Wild

Well, did you buy the torch? If so, how did it work out? I've got a mig welder which works great for welding but end up doing all my cutting with a grinder and a cutting wheel attached. I think a small torch like this one would be great for the few times I need to cut heavy steel.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #25
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Yep I bought the torch but still need the tanks. This will be one of my most useful and fun tools besides the MIG welder.
I'll keep you guys updated on how it works.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #26
NetMXer
Gone Wild

Did you buy the one on ebay or pick up a similar one somewhere else? BTW, how long are the hoses that came with it? I noticed some of the people posting on this subject said they hoses were too small.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #27
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

I bought the one off ebay for $48. The hoses aren't the longest out there but they should be fine for what I need. They're about the same lenght as the ones we use at welding class. Compared to the price of other torches, this seems like a nice kit.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Went to check on how much it would be to rent the oxygen and acetylene tanks and it will cost 18.95 a month for the 2 tanks after paying a $150 deposit or I could buy them for $200. Thats a really good deal for buying them but the renting doesn't make sense. It seems expensive to fill the tanks. I think it was $50 for the acetylene and $30 for oxygen. These aren't even the big tanks. Saving up for a plasma is starting to look like the way to go now. Only thing is you can do more with an oxyacetylene setup than with a plasma like heating and bending. Ahhhhh decisions!!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #29
ruredy
Born Wild

I did rent tanks years ago but quit cause it always seemed to be sucking money from me. I gave my torches to a friend so now when I need to use some I just ask him to do it, He has tanks and pays for the gas. I don't really have much come up that I need torches for, I have a little map gas torch and most steel bends pretty well without heat. My plasma cutter will heat up steel but others i have used don't work that way. I think most of them you have to be in close contact with the metal for them to work. Mine will burn no matter what so you can just stand off a few inches from the metal to heat it up if you want but it doesn't have the covrage a gas torch does. It really is a lot like a gas torch just much faster, well after all plasma is a gas just really really hot. They also cut any type of metal not just steel but are better suited for thinner metals. If you were always cutting 1"+ thick steel, gas is probably a better choice because of the cost involved. The plasma cutter uses elextrodes and nozzles which burn up as you use them. they can be kinda pricy depending on model. I am no expert on plasma cutters these are just a few things I have noticed from using them
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #30
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

What brand plasma cutter do you have? At my tech college we use a PakMaster 50xl and that thing is a blast to cut with but it's a $2000+ machine. I'm going to have to sell a lot of lemonade this summer to save up for one of those.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop