lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default Cleaning Gas Tank?

I am helping someone get their 2006 Yamaha G22 cart up and running. I have removed the carb and am ready to put a new one on. The tank has what looks like stagnate gas in it that had hardened. I got most of the yellow stuff out of the tank, but there is still some in there. I have tried blowing the tank out as well as purging it with water. Any recommendation on how I can get the remaining yellow chunks to break down so I can get them out?
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cleaning Gas Tank?

A can of carb cleaner or parts cleaner, a metal coat hanger or other bendable but semi-stiff wire, and a piece of a scrub pad attached to the end of the coat hanger. You can bend it around and get to all the nooks and crannies. I've done a couple that had what felt like tree sap in them, but it breaks down and comes out. If it is just in the bottom, a pressure washer will work, just need to dry out the tank well.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:26 PM   #3
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
A can of carb cleaner or parts cleaner, a metal coat hanger or other bendable but semi-stiff wire, and a piece of a scrub pad attached to the end of the coat hanger. You can bend it around and get to all the nooks and crannies. I've done a couple that had what felt like tree sap in them, but it breaks down and comes out. If it is just in the bottom, a pressure washer will work, just need to dry out the tank well.

Most of it is loose, I just can't get it to come back out of the hole ha ha. I have where the gas cap and where the pickup tube open, as I am going to put new on it, but am struggling to get the rest of the stuff our of there. That's why I was hoping to break it down with some type of liquid to get it out of there.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:39 PM   #4
cbdeese61
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure how big the hole is in the tank but can you get a vacuum hose in it? Maybe tape a smaller hose to the vacuum?
Just a thought
cbdeese61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdeese61 View Post
I'm not sure how big the hole is in the tank but can you get a vacuum hose in it? Maybe tape a smaller hose to the vacuum?
Just a thought

I may have to try that and see if it works. It's weird cause I got a good majority of the yellow chunks out, but the ones did not come out are more of a powder, but they don't dissolve in water. It is weird. I actually had someone tell me to try kerosene.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:29 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yler4cy View Post
I may have to try that and see if it works. It's weird cause I got a good majority of the yellow chunks out, but the ones did not come out are more of a powder, but they don't dissolve in water. It is weird. I actually had someone tell me to try kerosene.
Do not use a vacuum! While with the age, there shouldn't be any volatile gas or fumes in there...but if there is, you will likely get a big boom at the vacuum motor.

Upside down and shaking it till the pieces get near the cap. Tanks are easy enough to remove
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:33 AM   #7
txtimetravler
Not Yet Wild

Marbles to break it up more?

Or tank rust remover. Seems like they sell a product to clean gas tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:34 AM   #8
DustyRoller
Getting Wild
Club Car

Chain link of appropriate size and carb cleaner. Seal up all ends and shake rattle and roll. Dispose of solvents appropriately.
DustyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop