lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
Jwade79
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Jakes Long Travel- Poor Handling / Drifting

Hello -

I installed a newer version of the Jakes LT on my TXT. I am having an issue where the cart drifts off and has general poor handling. Additionally, the front tires are brand new and seems like they are getting chewed way too fast.

Has anyone experienced this issue and found a successful solution?

I appreciate any thought or feedback on this as I am stumped.

Thanks
Jwade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
Davey11A
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jakes Long Travel- Poor Handling / Drifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwade79 View Post
Hello -

I installed a newer version of the Jakes LT on my TXT. I am having an issue where the cart drifts off and has general poor handling. Additionally, the front tires are brand new and seems like they are getting chewed way too fast.

Has anyone experienced this issue and found a successful solution?

I appreciate any thought or feedback on this as I am stumped.

Thanks
Jwade79
Use a string line from the outside of the back wheels extended past the front tires. Get each of the front wheels aligned with the back wheels. After the fronts are aligned with the back, I like a little bit of toe in on the front wheels. 1/8"-1/4" is enough.
This helps the front wheels to track. When you are driving in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel the cart should keep going straight.
Davey11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
Jwade79
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Davey11a- thank you! I’ve corrected the alignment which has been A major improvement.
Jwade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I found on my Jakes LT front, if the tires are not straight up 'n down (vertical) steering is a big problem.

Once I got that adjusted, it steers and rides fine. I can let go of the steering wheel and it will track straight....and when I do a "jam on the brakes" it will track straight.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Davey’s alignment instructions are spot on.
Making sure front tires are in line with rear ( thrust alignment)then adjusting for toe in will correct steering issues assuming no worn front end components. 👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
leostaats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey11A View Post
Jwade79
Use a string line from the outside of the back wheels extended past the front tires. Get each of the front wheels aligned with the back wheels. After the fronts are aligned with the back, I like a little bit of toe in on the front wheels. 1/8"-1/4" is enough.
This helps the front wheels to track. When you are driving in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel the cart should keep going straight.
Is the string line being used to allign (in line) from front tire to back tire?
leostaats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes. You want to be sure the rear tires are straight with front tires
(Thrust alignment)
I normally use string,laser,straight edge length of PCs pipe,ect..secured to rear tire or rim to make sure a front tire (I use left front tire) so it is aligned, pointed in same direction as rear tire. I bungy cord pvc pipe to rear tire rim. Now you have reference or starting point. Move steering wheel slightly till front tire aligned with rear tire.

Next without moving front wheels or steering wheel. Use tie rod Till right side tire also points straight ahead. This can be done by measuring distance of inside along with outside distance between two front tires. Once these distances are equal. Then you can set toe in measurement. Adjust tie rod so distance between front of front tires and rear of front tires are no longer equal but distance between front of front tires is 1’8” to 3/16” les then distance measured between rear of front tire to front tire.

Now you have set thrust alignment/ tracking and also toe in which helps cart from wandering along with good tire wear.

Keep in mind this must be done with cart on ground under it’s own wheight. Not on jack stands. Also tires/wheels must be level so top or bottom of wheel so no wheel leans in or out.

HTH 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handling, jakes, steering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO