lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
beachbumtroy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: toro workman belt problems and acceleration

thnx for info and urs is electric? looks similar to mine didnt kno, if this doesnt work out im going to electric lol
beachbumtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2021, 06:17 AM   #12
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Thanks for jumping in with that ThreeCW. Saves me trying to remember it when I get back to a computer lol. I know it can be done on my phone but I would need my son here to guide me

I can't remember off the top of my head where it is located but Toro usually put a sticker near the serial plate with a year on it. I think you may have a 2006/2007 model, but I may well be wrong. Its been a few years since working on these.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #13
beachbumtroy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

no biggie everybody is helping thats great, appreciate the info will be a few daz before i can try the suggestions, but i`ll let u guys kno what happens when i do. thnx
Old 11-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #14
beachbumtroy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

hey just letting u guys kno progress.............checked plugs they both are firing,so that tells me pedal switch is good.....but did find out NO gas is getting to carb so i pulled off fuel pump today and will order a new one, any ideas on best place to go to order new parts for this? thnx and will keep u infomed
Old 11-03-2021, 01:52 AM   #15
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Being in the UK, I cannot help sourcing parts.

Another thing to check once you have fuel flowing, is the front spark plug. The one thats a B$$$$H to get at. This plug has a tendency to foul up quickly and often needs replacing. Try pulling the lead off that plug and see if the engine runs the same or sounds like it is running weaker. If it is running weaker change the plug and see if it makes a difference.

There should also be a tiny fuel filter poked in there near that front spark plug. This can stop fuel flowing if fouled up, another regular service item to change. So if the new pump does not give you a result, check / change this filter and also check all hoses going into and out of the fuel pump, The fuel hose that comes from the tank may have an air leak or the pickup in the tank may be blocked or cracked and not allowing the fuel to be drawn by the vacuum pump. Any air leaking in before the pump will stop fuel being drawn.

I have to ask how you confirmed that no fuel is getting to the carb. If I recall correctly, the carb may have a fuel shut off valve on the float chamber. If this is the case, you may find it is not operating and allowing fuel through the main jet. I cannot remember definitely if it has one but if it does and if faulty or not getting power, then it could be why no fuel is in the carb. I only mention this as i had to repair one recently on a different machine with the slightly larger V twin Briggs and Stratton engine. This energises when the ignition is on to allow fuel flow and shuts off when no power is present to prevent backfiring and running on.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I told you Cartmaster is an expert ... lots of options to check before replacing the fuel pump
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #17
beachbumtroy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

ok cartmaster will u move closer to me :).......i first tried turning over motor to check spark in the back plug by the way lol, then after that i pulled off the line going from the fuel pump to the carb and it was dry,so i had the wife turn over engine for a minute and nothing not a drop came out, that is how i did it, yes i will work on that front plug u mentioned and order the pump and i will continue following ur suggestions till it running then i will let u kno i promise, i`m slo i dont get chance to work on it but every few daz, but i`ll get there thnx...
Old 11-05-2021, 03:07 AM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I have assumed you have the Briggs and Stratton engine in all this as you seem to agree it has two spark plugs ( Twin cylinder ) But if you have the single cylinder Kholer engine, the tests are pretty much the same.

Dont assume that it is the pump at fault. As I stated previously, you need to check the hoses first. There may be a blockage in the line from the tank, including the fuel filter if fitted. also there should be a pulse line from the engine to the pump that pulses a diaphragm inside the pump. If this is blocked, split or disconnected and not pulsing the diaphragm, the pump will not pulse and deliver fuel. If there is a blockage in the line from the tank to the pump, then the pump cannot draw fuel. If there is an air leak in the line from the tank to the pump then no vacuum can be created by the pump to draw fuel from the tank.
The first thing i would check is the pulse line from the engine. Pull it off and spin the engine with the Plug leads removed, you should feel a light pulsing of air from this line. If not, check the line for a blockage. Overfilling the engine with oil can block the line. Second thing i would check is the line from the tank including filter for a blockage. If the filter is fitted, then this is most likely to be the problem as they never get changed regularly. Happens only yesterday I was called out to a commercial mower on a golf course that would not start and it was just a small plastic inline filter not allowing diesel to pass. Changed out the filter and it now runs better and smother than it has for months.

If none of these faults are evident, inspect the pump closely. Somewhere on the body of the pump you should find a small breather hole.
If this is clogged up, the diaphragm cannot pulse, therefore not allowing fuel to be drawn. I am assuming you have the black plastic pump, but if it is the aluminum silver pump, the breather is a brass colored air filter built in to the body of the pump and these get clogged up easily, just wash it out with fuel and let it dry out.

EDIT. If the plastic pump is Branded MIKUNI, then it too has a brass filter on the body of the pump.

All these thing can be checked while you wait for the new pump to arrive.

My bets are on the fuel filter! To eliminate the filter as the problem, remove it and join the lines back up with some tubing. I often use part of a Biro barrel ( writing pen ) to temporarily join the lines to test fuel flow.

It might be worth simply blowing down the line from the tank while it is removed from the filter and you will soon know if that line is blocked or leaking. Listen for bubbles in the fuel tank, or air escaping somewhere. If you cannot hear bubbles in the tank, and struggle to blow down the line, then the line is definitely blocked. Be careful here, remove the fuel cap before doing this or you may get a face full of fuel when you stop blowing.

If you hear air escaping then it is likely you have a cracked or broken fuel line from the tank.

Sometimes the fuel pickup in the tank can get clogged and a good hard blow on the fuel line can clear this temporarily. If you find this is the case, then soon you will need to remove the tank and flush it out. This involves removing the seats and the black plastic seat support. Not a five minute job I'm afraid. You may have to do this anyway if there is a problem with the line from the tank. Instructions for removing the seat base should be in the manual ThreeCW linked to.

Once you get fuel flowing and the engine running, you will be very happy with this vehicle. They are pretty robust and reliable despite some of the things I have said to look out for.

I would gladly move closer to you if you put up the air fair for two people, organise the immigration papers and supply us a nice single level home ( no stairs ) a pool and some transport. I have always dreamed of living at your location. Ready to retire now, so come on make me an offer.

And thank you ThreeCW for the kind words. I do not consider myself an expert, I just learnt what i know from making too many mistakes along the way

EDIT.

Just realised some of your previous questions were not answered.

If the engine does not rev up as you said, it is probably just spinning on the starter motor and not actually running. ( proven by lack of fuel )

The belt will only take up once the revs are raised with the gas pedal.

The engine will only run when you push the gas pedal enough to engage the starter and open the carb butterfly. It will not Idle!

I think once you have the engine running properly, the belt will be fine. The belt spacing is preset, no adjustments for this.

If the correct belt ( Toro part number 99-7144 ) still slips when engine is running correctly then the issue will be with the clutches, not the belt, unless the belt has worn too narrow, but this will only usually cause the clutch to snatch at the belt at start up and limit top speed.

If you mean the starter belt then yes, it is adjustable by moving the starter on its bracket just like an automobile alternator.

Hopefully we can get you sorted pretty quickly, but for us to help you, you need to do all the checks as prescribed and in the order stated. it is not worth trying to take shortcuts as we need to monitor progress at each stage.

Now, about that new home for the wife and I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin. In the united kingdom and on a different time zone and strange working hours so responses can be extremely randomly timed!!
Old 11-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #19
beachbumtroy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

1st off that is the belt number and i have a new one when i get this thing going, 2nd yes it is the briggs motor twin cylinder and i`ll be getting the hardest plug out tomorrow, then i will follow ur checks in order as prescribed and i really do appreciate all thnx in advance.........the pump is black plastic with the screen on it so i`ll check,and see what the brand is then, i will let u kno each step of the way. thnx again bb
Old 11-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #20
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Regarding spark plugs … the best practice is to put new ones in when you buy a used motor … especially since you are checking them anyway.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts