lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
San-Newbe
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Harley rear end & transmission fluid

I have a 1975 HD three wheel cart and have a question about fluids for the rear end. In the manual I downloaded it says to use 40oz HD transmission Lubricant but other posts I've read online says to use gear oil 75/90. Any thoughts from others that have used either and had good luck? I also read that the wet clutch needs 12oz of HD transmission fluid. I have rebuilt mine and used transmission fluid that I had left over from my car and it seems to run fine. Thoughts (gear oil or transmission fluid)?

Thanks!
San-Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley rear end & transmission fluid

You are spot on with the transmission fluid. The key there is that the fluid has to be thin enough to move toward the outside edge of the clutch somewhat quickly but not so think that it leaks.

The rear diff is more straightforward. You won't find the HD transmission fluid anymore. Gear oil is the same stuff. I use 85w but only because that's easy to find. Anything in that 75w - 90w range will work just fine.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
San-Newbe
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley rear end & transmission fluid

Thank you. I'll fill it up this weekend and give it a go. I appreciate your input.
San-Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, hd differential, transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts