lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
_Chase_
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rear Seat Footrest is NOT stable

Okay, I'm brand new here. I learned about this forum from a friend of mine, and I'm really hoping I can get some insight into my issue. Last October I purchased a 2015 EZ GO RXV with a rear seat, which included a footrest.

Normally, it seems on most carts you can freely stand up on the footrest to get seated without any sort of problem. It seems your weight gets distributed to the back of the cart. On mine, the footrest just bends down, and does not support much weight at all. This is big problem for me because of how I like to put my clubs on the cart.

What I would like to be able to do is shown in the smaller picture with the clubs placed straight off the back with zero bend from the footrest.

The pictures of my blue cart pretty clearly show the bend when I have my clubs attached in that way.

My footrest has almost zero support. It connects by two "bars" that connect to the bottom of the seat, but it connects to nothing at the bottom of the cart.

Was mine installed wrong, or is there something I can add to fix it, or will it be a situation where I need an entirely new rear seat? I apologize for the long post, but this is my first cart, and I'm new to trying to figure this one out. Any help or guidance at all would be very appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart correct.jpg (9.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart wrong.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart wrong 2.jpg (214.7 KB, 0 views)
_Chase_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Seat Footrest is NOT stable

You are comparing the aftermarket rear seat/footrest on your cart to what looks like a factory rear seat/footrest. My 2008 RXV is a factory RXV Shuttle 2+2, and they actually welded the rear seat assembly to the frame. It is rock-solid, and I kinda wish it were not welded in place. I would eliminate the assembly and just use it as a 2 seater.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would make sure that the bolts in the bagwell connecting the seat kit to the floor and the ones connecting the foot rest are tight. Also, make sure the angled plates on each side of the footrest are level and tight.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks to me like the problem is the way that particular seat kit is made. Looking closely the "bend" seems to start at the bracket that goes over the rear bumper and locates the forward (closest to the body) mounting point of the footboard. I don't think that design can really handle that much weight on the safety bar. Might be able to fabricate a heavier bracket, but it would take redesigning that kit.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Looking at that, i think meimk is on the right track. Most of those type kits i have installed use box section steel bolted or welded to the bottom of the footrest and run straight under the plastic bumper and bolt to the cart frame behind it.

That design will and has bent. I would remove those straps leaving the seat support upright in place and fabricate something straight and strong, that should solve your problem.

Another possibility would be to push it back to the flip frame and if the steel strap on the back of the bag rack lines up with the edge of the bed frame, drill a couple of holes and bolt them together. obviously that would interfere with using the flip seat as a seat but two bolts only take seconds to remove for seat use. If you want to use the seat and the bag rack at the same time, then the lower fixings i described would be the best option all round.

Edit. Maybe those brackets are meant to go under the bumper not over. Worth looking at that possibility, they may have just been installed the wrong way.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Looking at that, i think meimk is on the right track. Most of those type kits i have installed use box section steel bolted or welded to the bottom of the footrest and run straight under the plastic bumper and bolt to the cart frame behind it.

That design will and has bent. I would remove those straps leaving the seat support upright in place and fabricate something straight and strong, that should solve your problem.

Another possibility would be to push it back to the flip frame and if the steel strap on the back of the bag rack lines up with the edge of the bed frame, drill a couple of holes and bolt them together. obviously that would interfere with using the flip seat as a seat but two bolts only take seconds to remove for seat use. If you want to use the seat and the bag rack at the same time, then the lower fixings i described would be the best option all round.

Edit. Maybe those brackets are meant to go under the bumper not over. Worth looking at that possibility, they may have just been installed the wrong way.
My 2012 RXV had that type of rear flip seat, installed by the dealer I bought the RXV from. It has those flimsy brackets installed into the bagwell like that. The footrest was so flimsy that I removed the rear seat assembly and put it in storage, long before I wrecked that RXV.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
_Chase_
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments, it is appreciated. So, if I even wanted to, would I be able to keep my current seat, but use a different bracketing method and foot plate? Or, is it a situation in which I'll need a golf cart shop to heavily modify, or just repurchase the entire seat kit.

It seems like without a connection from the foot plate to the frame, it just won't be sturdy enough, and I'm not sure my current configuration will allow for the change.

I think I'm going to take it to a local golf cart dealer/repair facility and see what they can do.
_Chase_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

we made this setup at work. over kill for your needs (we need to haul trailers around) but you can see where it would bolt up under the bumper not over
20170214_152853.jpg
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The problem with those seat combos is the thin/weak C-channel that supports the footrest. Mine did the same thing when my kids loaded up about 6 of their friends on the cart standing on the footrest. I can get you a picture when of what I did to mine tonight when I get home. I welded some 1" flat bar on each side of both of the C-channel brackets along the entire length of the them. That may be an option for you if you have access to a welding machine.
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethaulin View Post
we made this setup at work. over kill for your needs (we need to haul trailers around) but you can see where it would bolt up under the bumper not over
Attachment 169649
I like that. I need to put a hitch on mine.
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO