lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
holliwood
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring a 3 prong ignition switch (with headlights)

Ok guys, I have the 4 prong ignition switch with the built in headlights. I changed it today, and in the process of that, I inadvertently got the two blue wires mixed up and don't remember which one went where. One was on an outside prong and the other was on the vertical prong on top by itself. Does it matter which prong I put them on?
holliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring a 3 prong ignition switch (with headlights)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliwood View Post
Ok guys, I have the 4 prong ignition switch with the built in headlights. I changed it today, and in the process of that, I inadvertently got the two blue wires mixed up and don't remember which one went where. One was on an outside prong and the other was on the vertical prong on top by itself. Does it matter which prong I put them on?
First, you title says 3 prong and your post says 4. Telling us your cart model will help. It probably does matter which prongs go to which wires because you are probably dealing with different voltages. Two prongs are for the cart controller which is 36 or 48 volts and two are for your lights are probably 12v. On my '07 TXT one set of prongs breaks the 36v to the controller and the other two breaks the 12v to the lights.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
holliwood
Not Yet Wild

Oops Sorry, I meant 3 position. It has 4 prongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
First, you title says 3 prong and your post says 4. Telling us your cart model will help. It probably does matter which prongs go to which wires because you are probably dealing with different voltages. Two prongs are for the cart controller which is 36 or 48 volts and two are for your lights are probably 12v. On my '07 TXT one set of prongs breaks the 36v to the controller and the other two breaks the 12v to the lights.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
holliwood
Not Yet Wild

Here is the info on it:
Serial #: *2635434*
Date Code: M0208

I don't know much about it. I just got it from a friend on a trade. It's 36 volt.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
holliwood
Not Yet Wild

I have the other two wires hooked up to the ignition switch correctly. It turns on and accelerates when the key is turned on, I just don't know which blue wire goes on which other two prongs. Both wires are blue with a white stripe.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliwood View Post
Here is the info on it:
Serial #: *2635434*
Date Code: M0208
I don't know much about it. I just got it from a friend on a trade. It's 36 volt.
That would be a 2008 TXT PDS.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
holliwood
Not Yet Wild

Thank you sir. I knew it was an 08 TXT, but what does the PDS mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
That would be a 2008 TXT PDS.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Googled "EZGO PDS" and found (already knew) Precision Drive System. It means the motor is a SEPEX vs. Series.

If your cart works, then it shouldn't matter which wire goes where, as one is supply (12 volts) and the other is load (lights). A switch doesn't care which is which, as long as you've already figured out that these are two independent switches, and since the cart runs, you must have one of the two switches figured out.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This will help:

Just look at the bold print in lower right corner, the back of your key switch should be labeled the same.

If you don't know which wire is the hot wire (battery wire) simply use a dvm and probe the wires.

Also, I'm guessing your PDS will be like mine, I did not have 36 volts at the key switch. Have something like 17 or so.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
as long as you've already figured out that these are two independent switches
I wish I knew that's what the 4 prong 3 position switches were before this weekend. I have a 3 wire/prong 3 position switch and was struggling with trying to figure out how to wire my 12v lights to the 3rd position while the first two were 48v. I ended up with putting a relay in.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO