lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Caught on Fire

I am happy to say that my family all got off the cart safely, but the golf cart has seen better days. I had to call 911 so the fire depart could come put it out.

We were driving around the neighborhood going down a slight downhill. All of a sudden there was a sudden noise from the motor, it slowed down, then the back wheels locked up and we skidded to a halt. I lifted the seat up and smoke was coming from the controller and/or solenoid. I removed the seat and flames started shooting from the controller.

I need some help understanding what happened and which part failed. I suspect the motor went first due to the noise and real wheels locking up. But I am unclear how that caused the controller to catch on fire. Even more puzzling, the fuse never blew...it is still intact.

Short video and some photos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKYx49dRAI8
IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Caught on Fire

You might find this interesting: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...4956-fire.html

Glad no one got hurt. !!
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadata View Post
I am happy to say that my family all got off the cart safely, but the golf cart has seen better days. I had to call 911 so the fire depart could come put it out.

We were driving around the neighborhood going down a slight downhill. All of a sudden there was a sudden noise from the motor, it slowed down, then the back wheels locked up and we skidded to a halt. I lifted the seat up and smoke was coming from the controller and/or solenoid. I removed the seat and flames started shooting from the controller.

I need some help understanding what happened and which part failed. I suspect the motor went first due to the noise and real wheels locking up. But I am unclear how that caused the controller to catch on fire. Even more puzzling, the fuse never blew...it is still intact.
Glad to hear you and yours got off the cart safely.

Except for the fire, I had close to the same thing happen. Motor (Stock PDS) made a noise, then seized and I slid to a stop. Sparks and smoke were coming out of the controller (DCX400), but arcing sounds stopped when I flipped the Run/Tow to Tow. The fuse (ANN250) did not blow.

Controllers have a bad habit of self-destructing when a motor fails while operating because all the outputs are shorted together when the motor fails.

I've assumed my motor failure was a combination of heat and RPM and regen braking stresses, because my motor was hot from being driven hard, it was spinning at about 8k and the failure occurred when I lifted my foot and the regen braking kicked in. But your motor failure could have been from heat alone, or maybe a brush broke, staring a chain reaction.

Again, glad you guys are okay.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Johnnie's explanation is spot on. The cart is not a total loss looks like the fire dept. saved it. Obviously you will need a motor,rear body, seat, and a couple of batteries, and some new electronics.

Look at the new Alltrax XCT controls. The XCT & SPM technology is updated and both controls feature reverse polarity protection on both the input and output ends of the control. This means no more catastrophic controller failure when the motor fails. Over-reving PDS motors is a thing of the past with the new RPM monitor in the XCT control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

WOW! Glad the family is OK. Strange how there was enough current to burn the controller but not blow the fuse.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Johnnie's explanation is spot on. The cart is not a total loss looks like the fire dept. saved it. Obviously you will need a motor,rear body, seat, and a couple of batteries, and some new electronics.

Look at the new Alltrax XCT controls. The XCT & SPM technology is updated and both controls feature reverse polarity protection on both the input and output ends of the control. This means no more catastrophic controller failure when the motor fails. Over-reving PDS motors is a thing of the past with the new RPM monitor in the XCT control.

Is this fire/failure more common on pds carts than series carts? This is the third golf cart fire I've heard of in the last year. The other two I know personally.

They were both in their building when they caught fire. Total loss to both buildings. I don't know how theirs happened.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone. Not sure what my next step is. I did have full insurance coverage on it, so I a waiting to hear from the insurance company. I may just buy a new cart rather than try to salvage this one.

I assumed all the batteries were fried, but I will check the voltage on them.

So what would have prevented this....an upgraded motor?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
rib33024

How fast down hill were you going when this happen
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Based on past trips on the same road with my GPS....I would guess about 28 mph.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The new generation Alltrax controls regulate motor rpm. A safe limit can be set which would avoid the over-rev situation.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO